Bow Handle/ Inspection Port?

Bamafish

Splashin' 'round
I need to install a bow handle and the mounting block is out of the boat at this time, (found it bumping around and managed to get it free from the boat when I opened up a hole that I am repairing). I can not reach where it was attached, so I guess I need to install an inspection port up there. Has this been done so close to the bow? I have seen pictures where the inspection port is located behind the splash guard, or at the stern for a rudder upgrade. Anyone ever have to install a port at the bow?

Thanks for any help on this.
Marty

Okay, I just found what I was looking for at Sunfish_Sailor.
There is a diagram on there showing 3 ports for drying the inside of the boat. This is what I will do now and install a rudder upgrade in the process. Now my question is what is the best port? What diameteris best? (I just want access for mounting purposes.)

This is getting fun!!!!
Marty

This is a case when bigger is better. In fact we leave the port out untill we finish the repairs to gain the extra inch or so the hole itself leave over the inside diameter of the port.
As to the size 6" is the practical maximum size.

I put two 6" ports in mine (one foreward and one aft). Even with the port installed, it is still possible to get my hand and arm inside the boat to get to stuff. Also, there are plastic bag inserts that fit 6" ports for storing stuff (food, keys, etc.) and keeping it dry. They are removable for access to the inside of the hull.

Frank

Back