Bought laser - repair questions

laser11

Hi,

I just bought a 1988 laser which had actually been sailed very little. The owner had a compast mount on it which he had removed to put on his new boat but the screw holes are still there. I would also like to replace the mainsheet clear with micro cleats.

I was wondering how I would fill and seal the screw holes. There are also some stress cracks in the rear corners of the cockpit as well as some deep chips in the gelcoat one the edge of the centerline of the cockpit.

I was wondering how I should go about repair these few things.

Thanks

You can fill in the holes with some high density west filler (make sure you use a siringe if you do!) which in my opinion works amazing. Its cheap to get the quick kit at west marine or some other marine supply. You could always use some 5200 sealer as well. I found the west works better having used both being in the same position as you are right now with the holes. Stress cracks are stress cracks, its just gelcoat so aslong as its not spongy or soft your set. Is your hull black by any chance?

another option to fill the holes is marine tex putty, its white and dries hard so you can sand it, I like to use it for deck repairs, the west systems are great as well

the gel coat can be repaired by sanding the surface and applying new gel coat

The hull is white with a dark blue stripe. The is light grey color.

Thanks for the replies. Do you know the actual name of the product?

Thanks for the replies. Do you know the actual name of the product?

West System, epoxy, various thickeners are offered. The stuff that fits in a caulk gun looks pretty cool, has thickener already added, but I've never tried it myself. It mixes itself in the tip, so you have to buy multiple tips if you don't use it all at once.

Marine Tex, white or gray, the smallest tubes of this would do for your small jobs. You mix the two tubes together, thickened resin and hardener, all at once, so be ready.

I'd skip the 5200. It's an adhesive.

Back