boom sleeve

sailor327

just curious i have an older boom and i was wondering how necessary it is to have a boom sleeve with the new vang.

I would highly recommend it. Without the sleeve it's really easy to put a perm. bend in the boom. If you find someone with a broken top section, you may be able to have them cut off a piece for you to make your own sleeve, otherwise buy the sleeve kit from a dealer.

Any Vanguard dealer can sell you a boom sleeve kit to install yourself into your boom. If you are upgrading an older boat/spars with the new vang system, I would deffinately recommend buying one.

Hi,
here in GER they don´t sell that boom-sleeve any longer. I looked everywhere (also at onlineshop of PerformanceSailcraftEurope).... This boomsleeve is realy needed if you use the XD-Vang-systems.
So, you better get that sleeve, if you can get it in America.
Greg already has given the hint to the text at drLaser-websitewhere it is described, how to install that boomsleeve. In that text is a little mistake, here is the correction, that I have investigated at drLaser-website:

Quotation of the drLaser-website:
http://www.drlaser.org/sleeve-N.html

>>...in “June”1993, ILCA Rule 18 allowed for a metal sleeve supplied by the
builder of maximum length 710 mm to be fixed inside the boom such that it
will not extend any further than 815 mm from the front end of the boom
(including plug). Later, on 1st “January 1997”, this rule was revised to
increase the allowable sleeve length to a maximum of 900 mm and to allow the
sleeve to extend up to 1220 mm from the front end of the boom (including
plug)... >>

{“” I have corrected [source: http://www.drlaser.org/FAQ/plfRULES.html]}

Happy New Year 2005 to all!
LooserLu

hi
iv got a older boom and was woundering how to find out if you have the sleeve. when sailing in strong winds with the vang pulled tight i do notice the boom bending but never thought twice about it. and is there anywhere in da UK where i can find the kit.
thanx and a HAPPY NEW YEAR

terraslaser said:
hi
iv got a older boom and was woundering how to find out if you have the sleeve...
Well terralaser, with a kitchen-balance I found out, that the boom with sleeve (with blocks on it but all ropes are away from it) in it weights about 2,9 kg (The side to the Gooseneck weight 1,6 kg and the side to the outhaul-fairlead weights 1,3 kg). I´m not sure, if the boom is prouced between `93 - `97 or later, I got it used (and already bent) from a fellow Laserite.
I did the same with the old boom. Both sides weight about 1,1 kg. So this old boom weight 2,2 kg. [1kg=0,450 "USA"-"lbs"]
Hope this helps to find out the solution.

P.S.: I use the old boom with a selfmade 15:1-Vang also in heavy winds (but not more than force 6). It bends and bends back - like a feather (no durable bending aft sailing to be seen).
The newer boom do not bend back - it is "durable-bent"... - although it has a sleeve inside... It seems to me, the new boom has a different quality, in comparsion to the old one. I´ll find out this in the comming season 2005. Then I try to "re"bend it (with the "Glenn Bourke"-way) and I hope it will hold for a dayly-sailing. :)
Ciao
LooserLu

Other methods to check for the sleeve:

Remove the endcap at the gooseneck end of the boom, you can visually look in and see the sleeve.

Drill out a rivit at the vang attachment and drill out a rivit at the mainsheet lacing eyestrap (the hard or soft eyestrap between both mainsheet blocks) Clean all debris from the holes and then sight or measure the material thickness of the holes. If they are the same, no sleeve, if the the vang hole is approx twice the thickness, it's sleeved.

The easiest - get a wire coathanger, straighten it, stick it in the gooseneck hole and probe along the inner wall.. You will hit the forward end of the sleeve if it's there. If you have a long enough coathanger, you can put a small "L" bend in the end and figure out how long the sleeve is by finding both ends of the sleeve.

...the simplest way to check for a sleeve is to see where the boom balances.--if the balance point is very close to centre,,then no sleeve.

Back