Boom reinforcement

powergroove

Can anyone tell me the correct way of reinforcing the boom? Whats typically used, and what methods were employed? Ive read bits and pieces about the top section being used in some kind of way....

The boom is already reinforced with an internal sleeve that should only need to be replaced if you remove the vang strap plate, and maybe not even then.
12488-1.jpg

Any other reinforcement is not allowed under the rules.

It's "already reinforced" only in the newer boats, though I have no idea exactly when that cutoff is. Older booms (My boat's a 75) have no such reinforcing sleeve.

It becomes an issue when you retrofit that cool 15-1 vang and apply all kinds of leverage to bend the boom. Then you want that reinforcement to avoid breaking the boom at the vang attachment point.

Join the laser class association and get the official rule book; it has a section on where in the boom the sleeve needs to go -- hint -- it's NOT at the inboard end of the boom.

Here's the thread I was asking questions and getting answers on when I did it a few months back:

http://laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=6479&highlight=boom+reinforcing+sleeve

I just did a replacement. Someone gave me a sleeve that wasn't as long as it should have been. Order a sleeve from your supplier; it should be about 34-36 inches long and will have some wiggle room in the boom. The sleeve should end just past the forward mainsheet block so that the sleeve reinforces the area between the vang fitting and the first mainsheet block.

I had a look down me boom yesterday to see if it was reinforced. It's a '97 boom and there is no reinforcing. Which is exciting because now i can buy an old top section and cut it down for a lot less than buying a boom for $300+. Or even a new top section for about $100 less.

The main supplier here is giving away top sections with new sails. Deals deals!

I have a 12:1 vang.

I had a look down me boom yesterday to see if it was reinforced. It's a '97 boom and there is no reinforcing. Which is exciting because now i can buy an old top section and cut it down for a lot less than buying a boom for $300+. Or even a new top section for about $100 less.

The main supplier here is giving away top sections with new sails. Deals deals!

I have a 12:1 vang.

you might have the reinforcement in there saw, its hard to see. Try taking a wire hanger and bending a little bit of the end to for a 90 degree bend, and stick it through the front and feel for a ledge, it should be about 3 to 4 feet down there. A 97 boom should have it

Back