Boom is getting me down

nutzuns

When the boom is cranked down on a beat and I go to tack, I get caught by it and its made me capsize a few times. Apart from crouching more, do you guys release the kicker before a tack? If so, how much?

I don't release the vang before I tack. I tried it a few times, and it was just more hassel than it was worth, especially in decent breeze. The most I ever crank down on my vang is two block tight. Much more than that, it'll flatten the back of the sail too much and you'll find it will slow you down in ligher breeze. Another thing you could do (although I dont recommend it) is ease the sheet about 4" once your head to wind. This will give you a little more clearance room, but you need to remember to sheet in again once the tack is completed.

I think the lower profile lifejacket might help you out a lot.

low profile life jacket, you should also let it out a few inches when you tack. another thing you may need to do is sit farther forward in the boat, sit at the front of the cockpit.

ok you can do 3 things.... a. get a thinner lifejacket b. crouch crouch crouch ! c. I like to ease the main in a stiff breeze seconds before I tack. Being super small, I have the advantage of being able to fit just about everywhere... (I remember when I was learning how to sail on a JY trainer, I was the only one that could fit under the boom)

A number of Radial sailors have replaced the metal lead on the boom that is supposed to stop the mainsheet forming a noose with a flexible 'strap'. This is usually just the cover off a suitably sized braided line with the cut ends sealed with a flame. Class rules permit this I think - as long as you rivet it on using the same holes as the metal guide used.

Usually it is this metal fitting that catches the collar of what ever you are wearing as you tack in full vang-on conditions - can seriously knock you out of the boat if you get a good hook-up in a breeze.

This modification only seems relevant in the radial but the other suggestions also help

I used to get hooked up in high winds all the time and had lots of capsizes as a result.

I just bought a Rooster race bib though, it is a heavyish duty rash vest without sleeves that you wear over your life jacket and makes the boom slide off me in a tack, I also replaced the metal loop that holds the mainseet up with a bit of webbing strap.

High wind tacks arre now a delight, it's just the bits between the tacks I have to work on.

Back