Boat Too heavy?

Vigolaser

I followed this method to weight my boat yesterday and it result in 65 kg 143 lb. The reply time in that post is expired, so I can't ask this question there.

I turned up side down mi laser and used two little wood cubes to lean both the bow and stern. The wood weighs less than 1 kg.

Is 65 kg too heavy?.

Thanks

I followed this method to weight my boat yesterday and it result in 65 kg 143 lb. The reply time in that post is expired, so I can't ask this question there.

I turned up side down mi laser and used two little wood cubes to lean both the bow and stern. The wood weighs less than 1 kg.

Is 65 kg too heavy?.

Thanks

What is the standard weigh of a laser hull?

There is another thread going around that suggests that 130lb (around 60kgs) is a good weight for a hull.

Personally I think the nut on the end of the tiller makes a much bigger difference!

What is the standard weigh of a laser hull?
I'm on "jeffers" side.
60 kg just for the hull (no spars, sail, foils, ropes) for "classic" Version (XD-stuff not fixed to the deck).
But sometimes I have seen brand new hulls that weigh less (58 - 59 kg), its just luck to get a lower weighted hull from the Laserstore.

If you did measure 65 kg for the weight of the hull, in my opinion, the hull is to heavy (or: the at the place where you live, the "gravity constant" "g" is not "9,81 m/s", yes "g" is not everywhere the same for all areas on this globe, but the influence of the difference is very small for the result measure at the Laser hull ... I'm kidding a bit in this aspect, sorry) Perhaps there is water in the fiberglass or an unknown repaired damage?

Ciao
LoserLu

Thankyou for the answers, I didn't find that thread jeffers, sorry. :(

I asume g=9,81 m/s^2 (acceleration) in my club ramp ;)

I bought the boat two years ago, and it had a little moisture inside, because I opened the drain and I saw little drops inside, although I found no water inside. No inspection port, no mayor repairs done at this time. (Sail nº 159.426)

To see inside the hull I looked through the drain while the boat bottom was pointing to the sun, this really works.

I think the moisture was absorved by the fiber. I would like to dry the inside, but I am not sure tha leaving the drain open dries the boat. Any ideas?

I can keep the distance with the other boats going upwind, but I really suffer sailing downwind. Strong winds are better for me.

...g=9,81 m/s^2 ...

Yup, sorry, my fingers have been to fast on the keyboard :0)

...I would like to dry the inside, but I am not sure tha leaving the drain open dries the boat. Any ideas? ...

I guess, you don't have an inspection port installed.

So, use the rest of the summer heat outside at wonderful Galica Region and put the hull in the shaddow (NEVER in direct sun). "gouvernail" did mentioned once, to additional wrap the hull into a black garden-foil. Let open the drain plug at the transom, of course.

Somewhere I have read: to use an old air-pump for an aquarium, to get the humid air out of the hull more fast (put the "sucking" tube of that small pump into the hull and be aware that the tiny drain-hole under the front wall of the cockpit under the hikingstrap is "full open". Also be aware that the sucking is not to strong). Can't say if it was a joke or a useful hint.

Ciao

LooserLu

Thanks LooserLu, do you know galicia?

I will try your solution. I will also buy a big sticker to remember to close the drain!

In addition to make sure the inside of the hull is as dry as possible, did you check the accuracy of the scales ?

There can be quite a difference with normal household scales, I calibrate mine with known weights before weighing hulls.

In addition to make sure the inside of the hull is as dry as possible, did you check the accuracy of the scales ?

There can be quite a difference with normal household scales, I calibrate mine with known weights before weighing hulls.

I used several weighs from the club gym to messure the reliability. I think the error would be + - 1kg.

Sailing fast is a state of mind, you know. I am doing all this thing just to be sure I am the problem, not the boat. :D

Back