boat for tubby

omac7504

Hello everyone, I am a long time saiboarder looking to get into a laser, I do have one question though...how important is weight? Im about 85Kilos at the moment (probably about 10 too many!!!) would this exclude me from the fun?, would it make me less competitive if I were eventually to compete??. Thanks in advance for the help.
OM

85 kilos is a good weight for a laser, maybe not if you are at olympic level but certainly good for club racing particularly in windier areas (im guessing that since you are a windsurfer is must be fairly windy where you are)

the laser is great for all sizes and ages so you cant go wrong

Thankyou for the reply Murphs, it is a windy area here so your advice is encouraging. Happy sailing! I suppose I could always lose a few pounds but that seems a bit drastic!!. Thanks again.
OM

Murphs said:
85 kilos is a good weight for a laser, maybe not if you are at olympic level but certainly good for club racing particularly in windier areas (im guessing that since you are a windsurfer is must be fairly windy where you are)

the laser is great for all sizes and ages so you cant go wrong

I was competitive in breeze over 12 kts at 104 Kilos in my local fleet. That much weight hurt me in 6-12 kts, but I was also competitive under 6 kts (Technique and physics)

At 85 Kilos, you should be very happy in all conditions.

Back