boat dolly

preston

I am considering a boat dolly that is being sold through LL Bean for 100.00. has anyone used this type dolly before? looks well made but not sure how it would go through sand. thanks

Ought to work OK. I've used similar wheels (tho' not pneumatic) on an IC dolly. They sink a little in soft sand, but the large radius keeps them up high enough. One thing - I don't think you can slide the boat directly from the cart into the water. You'll probably have to unstrap the cart and carry to the water.

Preston,

Depending on what kind of sand is around you, it may sink harder than you'd like. It's not the depth, really, it's the muscle it takes to plow it through, from the parking lot to the water. More than 30 yards or so could be a real workout. Have you considered fabricating one yourself?

I recently made a dolly from a set of plastic wheels donated from a non-working Power Wheels jeep. I spent about $20 on six feet of angle iron (for the frame) and some assorted hardware, some free 2x6's, and I asked a friend to make a couple spot welds, and I was in business.

Of course, I sort of live for doing things on the cheap.

Attachments

• dolly.jpe
    dolly.jpe
    9.7 KB · Views: 52
LAuman,
I might be mistaken, but I think you're asking to see the dolly I made. Preston is in the market for a store-bought. My boat rolls off the trailer at the beach parking lot, and onto the dolly. Quick rachet strap, grab the bow, and drag it to the water, easy breezy. Here's the photos:

Attachments

• dolly1.jpg
    dolly1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 87
  • dolly2.jpg
    dolly2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 68
  • dolly3.jpg
    dolly3.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 66
hey guys thanks for all the coments. i do not know how to move pciture from llbean to the forum but the cart is shown on bean site as heavy duty cart and sells for 99.00 bucks in paddling section. it is not as shown above. i have also thought about buying a landscape trailer from home depot or lowes and putting a rack on it and using that as a dolly for less than 100 bucks or building my own. i am very thrifty and can't see the spending the money for a seithec dolly though i am sure it works well. i am restroing a 74 fish that was partialy sunk. this forum is great

Sorry for the misunderstanding. It was the first LL Bean dolly for a hundred bucks that I saw. My bad. Personally, I like the building my own idea, especially if you're handy. Nothing like saving lots of money, and having other people look at it and say, "Wow. That's cool. Did you build that?"

My avatar photo is from a local drop that feeds the Corpus Christi bay.
2 grommet kits - $18
2-sided carpet tape - $14
20 feet of Tyvek housewrap - Free from a kind contractor
The look on yacht owners' faces as Marc and I share their marina - priceless.

Preston,

My daughters and myself built this dolly.
It took a hack saw, a drill, a couple of crescent wrenches, two lengths of PVC pipe, PVC fittings, a 6 foot piece of threaded rod, some washers and nuts, PVC cement, contact cement and a carpet scrap. We finished in an afternoon. The cost was about $45.

My 12 year old can pull the boat ascoss a beach on this dolly without too much trouble.

Megan

Attachments

• Trolly_1.jpg
    Trolly_1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 101
man thats cool you have inspired me. heading to lowes this weekend.
i have just got my tiller and extension done today and ready for stain and varnish. got 2 tillers and extensions out of a 10.00 ash board!

A buddy of mine made a dolly out of 2x4's, wheel barrow wheels, and pvc pipe. I think it's 1" and 3/4" pvc (one slides inside the other), telescoping. Make a back end of the boat cradle out of the 2x4's, carpet the top. Use very long bolts as axels. A couple of angle brackets with holes to hold the axels, aligning it all right so that the wheel doesn't hit the boat or the wood of the cradle. Use bolts and wing nuts to attach one end of the pvc to the cradle. Extend the telescoping pvc's to full length (~15 feet total), using another set of bolt and wing nuts (or spring pins if you can get 'em) and appropriately placed holes to "lock" the pipes in the extended, working position. A couple of holes in the "tip" area of each of the 3/4" pipes at the bow end of the cradle will hold a 1/4" line which ties the two pipe ends together, creating somewhat of a triangle (pipe to cradle to pipe) on which the hull rests. Getting fancy, a 6" piece of leftover 3/4" pipe tied here acts as a nice handle for pulling. I don't have a photo handy, but it works well.

The bigger the tire, the better it works. Wider is best. Wider and bigger diameter is even better. Bicycle tires are too skinny. Big Wheel back wheels are too small, though potentially wide enough. Sand is a wicked, wicked thing!

Good luck.

Hard to see how anyone can tell what the best dolly around is, Al. Looking again at the dolly Preston was originally looking at (the Heavy Duty Cart, not the one I pictured first), it looks ideal for boat ramp or non-sandy rough terrain, and it folds flat if your home is no-garage, no-basement and space-strapped. It might have been exactly what Preston needed.

For people with all the space they need, it's a totally unnecessary feature. More importantly, for people (like me) who have to drag 50-75 feet through loose sand to the water, it's totally useless.

Everyone's got different needs, and an all-purpose "best dolly around" is best only for the person that uses and is happy with it. Preston, congratulations on making/modifying your own. Investing your heart, skill and ingenuity instead of just your money is what makes this, and any pasttime, worthwhile.

Ok, mine is designed to go over a hard surface with MINIMAL effort. It's no good in sand. In sand, I'd suggest an inflatable roller, or a section of large dia. PVC tubing/pipe.

My dolly fits into the daggerboard slot and supports the boat in your yard when not in use. Boat is held 2.5-3' above the ground. It utilizes the two, large, rear wheels on the large tricycles the elderly sometimes use. You can push the fully loaded rig as far as you care to walk. It can even be pushed with the rudder bracket resting on the tip of your little finger!

If anyone wants more info., they can contact me as above.

Al Courtines

I built a dolly that travels well on sandy beaches using 1-1/2 pvc pipe, tees, elbows and used golf pull cart wheels. These wheels are about 8 inches high, 3 inches wide with a steel axle hole. Most golf course pro shops through out a number of these pull carts each year and would probably give one to you if you asked. The carts don't ever last as long as the wheels. I'll try to post a pic of the dolly. It also serves as a nice bed for the boat in the yard and in my pick-up bed.

Back