Blind inmy left eye

David1st

Are there any sunfish sailors out there that are blind in one eye? I am nearly blind in my left eye now and the eye doc. says I need a cornea transplant!! My problem is being able to see the sail properly, what I mean is I can" t see if the sail is properly bellied out and where the center of effort is!! Are there ways to compensate for this? Also I find that on port I cant tell soon enough when i am luffing and it feels like it wants to death roll, in a good blow!! I find my self reacting to the wind instead of acting on what I should be seeing the wind doing!! With two eyes one sees a wider view and still see the sail!! What can I do to compensate? I came in second place in our local club last year and would like to be competitive this year also, but this is a handycap , I would have to figure out to be competitive!! I only have 3 weeks to the start of the season and would like to figure this thing out, so any advise would be appreciated!!!

If it were me I'd get the transplant. My dad needed one for years and kept putting it off. FInally he was forced to get it done as the second eye was getting cateracts and he couldn't handle daily tasks without problems.
While any operation sounds scary I dropped my dad off at the hospital at 7 am and had to go to work and gave the nurses strict orders to call me when the operation was finished (damn boss wouldn't even give me a day off) I called at lunch time to find out how he was doing and they told me he called his girlfriend at about 9:30 to come and get him so He didn't have to wait till lunch time when I could bring him home. About 2 month later he had the second eye done and after it healed he had 20-10 vision, but did need to wear reading glasses for anything with about 2 feet of his eyes.
He was 80 when he had them done, so you don't have any excuse...LOL

Yes,Mike I intend to get the eye done!!! But reluctant to get it done till after the race season,but if I was able to see again in just a few days its tempting!! The Doctor told me it would be up to 6mos. before I had good vison again in my left eye and up to a year before the stitches could be taken out!!! But you have given me somthing to think about! Questians to ask my Doctor about also!! Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your Dad and 80years old, beats my 58 years all hollow!!!

Back