Best way/preferred way to tie off the cunningham?

Hi,
I have seen several different ways to tie the cunningham off through the sail. I have tried both tying the line doubled through at the top through the crinkle only, and another way --run through the crinkle and tied off through the holes at the top of the vang tang plate on the lower mast. I like the ease and feel of the second way. What are your own prefs and recs?

I tie my cunningham the second way you describe. I like this method because it is clean in speed of rigging and amount of line used. One thing I would like to do is just use a hook that goes through the crinkle. I could leave the whole cunningham attached to the lower mast without ever having to untie it, and it would speed up rigging even faster. However, I believe the class rules require a line to pass through the crinkle as part of the cunningham set-up.

odinsvitskjaldr said:
Hi,
I have seen several different ways to tie the cunningham off through the sail. I have tried both tying the line doubled through at the top through the crinkle only, and another way --run through the crinkle and tied off through the holes at the top of the vang tang plate on the lower mast. I like the ease and feel of the second way. What are your own prefs and recs?

I've got the pro rigging. I tie the line to the becket of a block, thread the line through the crinkle then down through a block attached to the top of the vang, back up round the block first attached to, then down through an eye on the deck. The line is cleated on the deck. There's a picture of it and better description at, page 5:

http://teamvanguard.com/boats/c/cnt/down/LaserRiggingLR.pdf

Janet

Howdy,
I've got a hook I use to snap it on the top of the block, never have to untie... I'll post a pic of it in the next couple of days. I have also just tied it with to the top of the block not much difference in rigging up time but the hook is easier to undo after a day's hard sailing then the knot.
Adios,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Thanks Michael. What kind of hook do you use?
Thanks Janet. I used the rigging manual method at first but changed to the second way after I saw it in a picture from some regatta. (Hopefully Vanguard will realize that the teeny pix are not really very helpful and put in larger more detailed pix...lol)
Thanks Torid. So far the tie off the top through the crinkle and onto the holes in the vang tang has worked great!

odinsvitskjaldr said:
. So far the tie off the top through the crinkle and onto the holes in the vang tang has worked great!

I can't picture what you describe. I'm interested if you've got something better than the standard rigging, though I've haven't had any problem with it. I like the idea of putting a snap-on hook at the end so you only ever tie one bowline! I looked at some at the marine store today and am wondering--stainless or brass, and swivel or fixed?

Merrily

Back