Best Place to launch a Laser in the SF Bay Area

Chrigel

Hi,

After 20 years I decided to buy a Laser again. I live in Castro Valley (in the East Bay) and would like some info about sailing my boat. San Leandro is the closest harbor, but somebody said the channel is about two miles long. Alameda would be not too far but getting out to the open water is also pretty far. I guess Berkley would be my best bet since I really LOVE the rough water and lots of wind. Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

If you're willing to drive to SF - and want to really experience rough water and wind, go to Crissy Field... far west end new parking lot nearest to Fort Point. You will need a dolly or friends to carry it over some little rocks, but once you launch, there you are on a straight beat to pass under the GG Bridge and then reach back & forth across, right under it or inside. Usually a stunning place for a Laser....

(I confess I haven't yet launched at Berkeley, but it looks like good wind and seas there, too.)

I am curious about other sailor's options, too!

Dennis
Tomales Bay, CA

You can launch at Berkeley (Cal Sailing Club) but you need to use the hoist so you have to be prepared to rig a sling for your boat. It's not too hard, you just need to take the time to get it rigged right. I've done it a couple times since December. Another thing about launching at Berkeley is you need to pay attention to the tides. I went there about a month ago and barely had enough water.

Richmond Yacht Club is another East Bay option but you probably need to be a member to sail out of there on any regular basis. But you can check it out at the next Midwinters on Feb 4. (www.richmondyc.org)

Probably the best spot in the East Bay is the Treasure Island Sailing Center (www.tisailing.org). It's smack dab in the middle of the bay and it gives you the option of staying in flat water in Clipper Cove or the lee of TI or heading out around the island right into the Bay. We're hosting the Pacific Coast Championships there this coming August.

At this time of year you also have to hoist in since they have their docks out of the water but again the hoisting isn't too big of a hassle once you have it figured out (sure beats not sailing).

TI has racing every Thursday Night starting April 5 with the Vanguard 15 fleet. We were getting pretty good turnout last year and hope to do better this year so we hope you can join us. Info and sign ups are on the V-15 website at www.vanguard15.org.

If you want to stay connected, sign on to the District 24 e-mail list (www.technicalwizardry.com/d24laser/d24.htm) and the Treasure Island Laser Fleet list: [email protected] (http://groups.google.com/group/ti_lasers?lnk=li&hl=en). Often, if someone is planning to go out for a practice session they'll post there to see if anyone else wants to come too and it's also a great way to know about upcoming races and such.

-Steve

Thank yo Steve and Dennis for the very valuable information. I will check out all the sites you referred to and hope to start sailing as soon as the weather gets a bit friendlier and the winds are picking up again. I might look into joining some of these events, but first I need some practice since I am pretty rusty right now.

Back