Best Legal PFD For Laser

So in light winds I'm constantly capsizing because my back gets caught on the boom during roll tacks. I don't have the problem during normal tacks, but something about the angles during a roll tack keeps me from getting low enough. Sure, I could get smaller, and I'm working on losing some weight, but I'll still be 6 feet 180 lbs. I'd rather buy something to fix my problem.

I'd love to get something like a little CE 50N Buoyancy Aid, but I understand from much reading that this would be against the rules for racing in the good old US of A, not to mention against USCG regs for vessels.

So until that changes, what can I do? I'm currently using an Extrasport Riptide (below) which is comfortable, but I still get caught constantly when roll tacking. I'm currently using a sleevless tight rash guard/pinny that I got from APS, but it doesn't help much.

riptide.f_sm.jpg

Is there some technique I'm missing that would help me out? Is there some uber-vest out there that is awesome and legal in the US?

The advice I've read for roll tacking says to stand up, facing across the boat during the roll. The only way I can not catch the boom is to face forward, instead of across, which means I can't get much roll, especially in light winds when I actually need it.

Any help?

Light winds - the vang should be somewhere in the area of just tight when the boom block is ~8" from the trav block.

In the tack seq, fast forward to when the boat hit's head to wind, or just slightly past. This is when you are making your move from the old side to the new side. You should be dumping the mainsheet approx 18-24", which lets the boom bounce up just as you duck under it. Do it right and it's really just a deep knee bend.

Ok. Some people seem to say that you should ease before crossing, some say before. Tillerman (from his Rooster DVD) says after, a thread on here says before. That makes a big difference in the amount of space you have.

Also, when do you roll tack and when do you just tack normally? Do you always roll tack? I ask because the vang settings are different in different wind, obviously. So in super light winds, the tuning guide I use says to have it two-blocked and take the slack out. That doesn't leave much room under the boom IME. In light winds they ease it to about 1' between blocks, which is fine for room.

Then it goes back to almost tight in medium, and then tight and more in windy. In medium winds I might have trouble, might not.

It seems to me that in super-light (under 4 knots or so) is when roll tacking would be most important, since you're going so slow already, or is it not done because it's too easy to come out of it faster than you went in (rule 42) because you went in so slowly?

you can also buy these type of tshirts that go over your pdf/lifejacket to stop this from happening seen a few people with these and they say it helps...

I have one, I think. I have a sleeveless rash guard. I also have a long sleeve that I'll probably start using to keep from getting burned as much. I've been using that over my vest.

I have seen all different PFDs work for roll tacks. There are a few tricks most sailors use one is putting a rash gaurd over your life vest, or taping over the buckles or whatever sticks out. I also find that roll tacking in light wind your vang should be on only about 6-8 inches from block to block. you ease as you tack so you can get under the boom and then you flatten and trim on again. I have found that if too much vang is on then the leech closes up and this can cause you to round up when you flatten out of your roll tack(decreasing your speed). If you leave the sheet slightly eased this will allow you to use the flatten to go straight and not have to use the rudder to steer down. MORE IMPORTANTLY this will allow you to get under the boom without getting caught up.(I'm a long island sound sailor, I like to think light winds are my specialty)

Unless your getting smaller includes losing some height, being 6' tall and somewhere north of 180 (I've ranged from 195-220 the last few years, and am also 6') shouldn't be an issue.

Practice roll tacking. Over and over. Capsizing is definitely slower than not roll tacking.

I used to have a similar problem. It was caused by my facing forward in the tack and getting caught on the mainsheet block. I now wait until the boom starts to come on top of me, face across the boat reaching to the far gunwhale with my tiller hand. I may also sit a little further back, just for the tack, to avoid the block I'm not sure :) What I do know is it hasn't happened for a long time.

Also, plenty of taller / fatter people than me can tack in light winds without getting caught which makes you think it's technique rather than kit. It's tempting to try and buy yourself out of the problem, but I doubt that's the solution.

Just my experience and hope it helps

Back