Best knot for Halyard tensioning

phish133

Sunfish sailor
What's the name of a good knot to make loop used for tensioning the halyard before its cleated? Not to tie it to the upper spar, but a loop many folks use to make a purchase system as it descends the mast. It's not a standard slipknot, but one thats eaiser to untie after its been under a good amount of tension. I've got a good "knot" book, so if you can tell me the name of one/two, that should work.
Thanks in advance.

Not certain what you mean. Where did you see this described?

Attachments

• Halyard.jpg
    Halyard.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 69
"...It's not a standard slipknot, but one thats eaiser to untie after its been under a good amount of tension..."
The bowline retains 85% of the line's strength, and is the strongest knot to untie after a load: even if fully jammed, it can be released by hitting it with a hammer. I use it for nearly everything, including tying two lines together. :)

Another knot that is excellent for when you need a loop in the middle of a tensioned line is the butterfly knot (sometimes called the alpine butterfly). It won't give you the 3:1 purchase of a trucker's hitch, but it is strong and very easy to untie even after being heavily loaded. I have used it many times in climbing, where knots have to hold falling bodies and still be untiable by hand.

Back