Bent Bottom Section

iain_CAN165061

Alright... heres the question: I bought a radial Bottom section new and i used it a max of 65 times. about 60-70% of the time its super light winds. The section is now bent, with about an 8-11 in. displacement.

This displacement is by lineing up the gooseneck and vang tang and looking from the tip of the top section. Heres the catch, with the gooseneck pointing up, the rake isnt at 12 o'clock (back), its at 10:30.

Alright... heres the question: is it worth cutting it in half to be sent back to the manufactorors for them to see if the alloys are weak to possibly get my money back? or does it sound like regular wear and tear?

PS, i dont crank the vang in light minds.

I doubt sending it back to the manufacturer will do much good, especially if you cut it in half. You can try sending it back, but you will most likely get nothing in return.

Please, DON'T CUT IT IN HALF. If your going to do anything with it, leave it intact, let the manufacturer do what they need to do. I think you'll end up needing a new mast though, there isn't a very strong warrenty behind spars...

It sounds like wear and tear to me, maybe you just got unlucky and got a bad gust some time.

YOu can send it back to the makers, because if the allows ARE weak then they will give me a new one. but the catch is that you have to cut it in half. So youre like gambleing

The uderlying problem with the radial bottom section is it has only half the wall thickness of a std b/sectn. I believe this to be a big oversight in its design. If you usually sail a std rig and drop to the radial in high winds then bending is common place.

Our club has a stack of bent 'spare' sections....

What is needed is a class legal option to go to an 1/8" wall for high winds.

ian- i doubt you will get your money back

stewart - the radial section was designed thinner to flex more and hence be easier for lighter sailors, if it was the same thickness as the standard, the whole rig just wouldnt work

Start by contacting the Laser dealer where you got the lower section and work thru them first (assuming you bought the lower section new)

I can only comment on what I have heard from others and what you said. It appears that this is at least a year old section, used quite a bit. Others have had their section replaced when the bend occurred within the first couple days of use, when it's clear it wasn't abused with supervang or hard capsizes. Otherwise it's considered mis-use and you are SOL.

FWIW, 8-11" is beyond anything I have ever seen occur from normal sailing, even a 4.7 spar is not bent that much. Did it happen all at once or was it overtime (if it was overtime, did you try and straighten it at any point)

Also, you would NEVER have to cut the section in half BEFORE sending it back.

8-11 inches?! that's a LOT.....

Had a couple radial lowers come back in with some deformation and bending after only 1-2 outings. Most of the time, user error, however, a recent batch has been, to be blunt "suspect"

a few that wouldn't or shouldn't have bent, have.... Do I think this is any sort of indication of alloys trouble? No. You can take it back to your dealer, but to get any credit, it will need to be chopped up and mailed in. COULD it be an alloy problem....? sure....... is it worth the time and effort (it doesn't cost the dealer much but some hassle, I'm not trying to talk you out of your dealer working for you so you are a happy sailor)

Suggestion? Ask your dealer for some discount on a new lower section. The time and energy for you to send it in, not sail, chop it up, ship it, analyze, get results, get a credit, order a new one.......is just......I don't know, I'd rather give a great deal on a new one, see you sailing, and be done with it. Stuff happens sometimes.

65 sails in it? Not like it was just 2-5 or something.

Sorry, this got long winded. You have a 2 year warranty, and I encourage you to work with your dealer to get the best return from your boat. You and the dealer should be able to figure out a good solution that keeps you sailing and is fair.

Seeing how you sailed it around 65 times I don't think anything will happen. When a lower bends badly on the first or second time you can sometimes get a new one, but thats about it. I think you are just going to have to pay for a new one. Sorry.

thanks for the input, its much appreciated. I dont know, I just expected more. My friends masts (on my team) each have straight sections, which are each 3 years old, and mines 1.

Thanks again, you people are good,

Back