Beginner

John

I bought a s/h laser a week ago, and have sailed it twice. No previous experience. Sailing into wind, and reaching fine - running not. (Wind was 15kts gusting to 20kts)
I read that the centre board should be up or mostly so on a run - why is this?
The boat rolls horribly on a run, but less so with the centre board down - any tips on running efficiently?
Otherwise, enjoying it thoroughly.

The boat will not roll if you keep your weight as far forward in the boat as possible and towards the center. Try tro move your weight with the waves and in good balance. Balance is key.

The whole theory and purpose behind a dagger board is to reduce leward slip and nothing more. They are not used in the same way as a keel on a larger boat for keeping the boat upright. In a Laser, your body weight is supposed to do that jod. And when going on a run, you dont have to worry about leward slip so it just drags and slows you down. It is unnecisary.

Glad you liked it!

The board will keep you upright when you are moving forward FAST. Search for my post about sialing by the lee and read some of the stability points raised in that for more details.

Back