Basic Question - Downwind

Skipper Johnson

Hello people (or should that be peeps),

Here is my question

If a course is set directly downwind between two marks, should I sail directly downwind or is it always better to sail on an angle (as opposed to a dead run) and then gybe back?

Hello there,

Time to share my experience with you... For light wind condition, sailing by dead run is no good... It will be best to sail by-the-lee, meaning wind is flowing from the leech.

For stronger wind where you feel you are gotta be out-of-control, sailing by broad reach is an easier option. That means, you will need to sail down at an angle and gybe at the appropriate spot and head directly to the downwind mark.

On top of the above, tidal direction is extremely important. For example, if there is a strong current that flows from left to right and you are heading down towards the downwind mark, you should keep as close to the left as possible. If you go too far to the right, you will find it hard to fight against the current when you want to round the mark.

I can only share with you this much... cos I am still learning.

Hope you will find the above information useful..
cheers,

Skipper Johnson said:
Hello people (or should that be peeps),

Here is my question

If a course is set directly downwind between two marks, should I sail directly downwind or is it always better to sail on an angle (as opposed to a dead run) and then gybe back?

The answer varies depending on skill level, wind strength, wave height, current and other variables -

If you can supply some of the above it will help frame a good answer..

49208 said:
The answer varies depending on skill level, wind strength, wave height, current and other variables -

If you can supply some of the above it will help frame a good answer..

Skill Level: Beginner
Wind: say 10-15
Current: Nil
Wave Height: Nil when I sail on lake. About 1 metre (3 feet) on the bay.

In 10-15, flat water, typically sailing straight towards the mark is going to give you the quickest route there. It's not uncommon to change course 10-15 degrees up or by the lee to take advantage of puffs or windshifts, or for tactical reasons, but once everything has settled down , go straight towards the mark again.

In 10-15 with 1 meter waves, there are going to be many opportunities to surf. In that case changing course up to 30 degrees low or high will help get the boat surfing. In those conditions I am looking to maximize the time spent surfing, with an eye towards where the mark is. So, I may ride a couple waves low (by the lee) and a couple waves high (aka carving) to avg my position on the race track. On occasion, the wave angle may be slightly different from the wind angle, in which case I may spend the majority of the leg sailing by the lee without much carving.

49208 said:
In 10-15, flat water, typically sailing straight towards the mark is going to give you the quickest route there. It's not uncommon to change course 10-15 degrees up or by the lee to take advantage of puffs or windshifts, or for tactical reasons, but once everything has settled down , go straight towards the mark again.

In 10-15 with 1 meter waves, there are going to be many opportunities to surf. In that case changing course up to 30 degrees low or high will help get the boat surfing. In those conditions I am looking to maximize the time spent surfing, with an eye towards where the mark is. So, I may ride a couple waves low (by the lee) and a couple waves high (aka carving) to avg my position on the race track. On occasion, the wave angle may be slightly different from the wind angle, in which case I may spend the majority of the leg sailing by the lee without much carving.

OK Thanks - regarding surfing. Is the idea when you feel the transom lift, to head up, sheet in and head on an angle down the wave?

Skipper Johnson said:
OK Thanks - regarding surfing. Is the idea when you feel the transom lift, to head up, sheet in and head on an angle down the wave?
IMHO, at that point you are too late in your reaction to the wave. It's somewhat similar to real surfing - if you start paddling as the wave lifts the board, you won't catch the wave. You always start paddling sometime before the wave arrives.

You also don't always need to head up - this is where sailing by the lee comes into play, many times you can sail by the lee to accelerate to get on the wave.

Search around, there are some really good articles out there on downwind sailing in the Laser, and video of Scheidt and Ainslie carving can be helpful.

Back