Bailer cockpit plug diameter is too small.

sailing19

The bailer cockpit plug is not snug in the bushing and water is pouring into the cockpit. Where can I find a substitute plug of a large enough diameter to fit snug?

We used to swipe one hole stoppers from the chemistry lab.

Honest folks probably go the hardware store and look for rubber plugs in the odds and ends shelves...( Like Home Depot, Lowes, Canadian Tire, or Tractor Supply)

Or you could go buy an official size and weight plug at your laser dealer so yu will be allkowed to race without being tossed out for being a cheater with knock off imitation parts aboard

The bailer cockpit plug is not snug in the bushing and water is pouring into the cockpit. Where can I find a substitute plug of a large enough diameter to fit snug?

Try some Vasoline around the plug first. It's a long shot if the plug is small, but it's worth a try. I have to grease mine to keep it from popping out.

BTW, is this legal?

Try some Vasoline around the plug first. It's a long shot if the plug is small, but it's worth a try. I have to grease mine to keep it from popping out.

BTW, is this legal?

Only legal if you use "Laser Grease" available for $10 an ounce, 4 month waiting list. ( pot life 3 weeks)....

...only kidding...the answer is to simply sail faster...all the water dissapears. :)

yea just use a wine cork until you order the rubber cork I use one all of the time on a 420 when I loose a rubber cork cork, they work fine and fill in until you buy one

Finally fiqured it out by moving the plug back on the rod, the plug was snug in the socket and at the same time the bailer was flush to the bottom of the boat. Then put some tape on the rod so the plug would not slide forward on the rod. Have not figured out why there seems to be extra rod. Is the back wall of the cockpit thinner on boats built the last couple of years?

I always assumed the extra rod was there to give you something to grip, instead of pulling the plug off the end of the rod every time you grip it.

I dunno though.

Back