Autumn Stow-Aways

Wildbank

A few weeks ago I noticed a nasty smell when I took the cover off my Laser. I assumed it was the smell of mildew from my life jacket. Yesterday I was rigging up for a sail. As i stepped the mast I heard a gritty sound as the mast was seated. I didn't liek the sound so I pulled the mast out and found that a field mouse had fallen into the hole and decomposed. Since them I keep an empty water bottle as a loose fitting plug to keep unsuspecting critters from meeting the same tragic end. Has anyone experienced this before?

I think you need to be very very careful. Remember that a Laser is a strict one design; if the rules do not allow it then it is not allowed. There is nothing I can see in the rules that allow you to place dead mice in the bottom on the mast step. Some people use Teflon disks, others stainless disks but I have never heard of people using dead mice - and as it is (probably) against the rules expect to be protested by other people you are racing against.

Ian

Thanks for the "heads-up". I thought it would be a "green" alternative. On a different note: you mentioned teflon innserts in the mast step. Is this a good idea to prevent premature wear of the fiberglass? Do you recommend this?

John and "Mickey the Mouse" (RIP)

Back