autobailer. Metal vs plastic and other update questions.

psusailor76

I got an old boat last night. It's from sometime in the mid 70's. I haven't checked the serial number yet to find out exactly one. I need to update it now to race with.

The autobailer is pretty much done for. It is the older metal type. Will the newer plastic bailer fit the hole that the metal bailer was in if I take it out or do I need to find a metal bailer to replace it with?

What do you do for the halyard and boom vang if you have an older boat that has an actual block for the halyard instead of the plastic eyeloop? With the eyeloop you could fit the line through it several times to run everything. That's not happening with the block. Do I need to then install a cleat on the mast for the halyard?

What is best for hiking strap placement? Mounting the front end higher on the lip or cutting an inspection port and putting it lower down. I know it is low on new Sunfish. My old boat was an 88 hull and for some reason I think I remember the hiking strap being mounted higher up. The low position seems like it's going to be very close to the floor and difficult to get feet under.

Thanks.

Ryan

A halyard cleat on the mast is the way I went on my older fish so I could put a yang on. The mast cleat also help in the droop you get when the mast rotates during the first few tacks. Either that or you could replace the deck block with the current fairlead. But I'd still add the mast cleat.

Older boats commonly either put in a port to reach down far enough to reinforce the back side of the front strap mounts or go through the cockpit coaming. My 91 Pearson was mounted just high enough off the floor that I had to loosen the strap as I did a lot of light air sailing and the strap when tight was high enough off the floor for me to get tangled in it when down in the cockpit. I found it easier to reach around with my toes to get under the strap than have it up off the floor. But that was my personal preference.

From what you said, your boat is older than the mid 70's. Can't tell unless you have the serial number on the plate behind the coaming.

Fred

It was built in 1974. I checked the serial number a few minutes ago.
AMF10534M74B

No takers for the autobailer question yet?

Doooh...got so busy answering the second question I totally forgot about the first. Yes the plastic bailer replaces the metal one with no problem.

psusailor,

If you haven't found it yet Wind Line Sails (http://www.windline.net/index.html) "How To" section has an article on removing the old metal bailer. Once the old bailer is out, you clean up the hole and surrounding surface with a little sandpaper (lightly and only where the new bailer will be) to get rid of any dirt and crud and in about 5 minutes, your new bailer is in place. Toughest part is removing the old bailer. There was a discussion a couple weeks ago (titled - Frozen Scupper) on this same subject, do a search and you will find it.

Back