Autobailer Assembly

Mike94

Ok i know this may sound funny, but i had taken off the bottom part on the hull for my auto-bailer to clean it out. there was only 1 screw and such to hold it in but after i took it off, i had reassembled it the way it should be and when i had screwed it back into the boat the part tward the bow was flush with the hull but the back end of the assembly isn't flush it is about an 1/16 of an inch from being flush, any ideas on if i should use an adhesive or something to keep it flush with the hull of the boat? please help

You should be screwing it into a black plastic thing in the hull, that might be out of whack. Double check the screw is going in at the right angle into the black thing, it is angled kinda towards the stern, not straight down.

It's hit or miss on how well the autobailer sits relative to the bottom of the hull, you can try re-fastening it again etc..

The class rules do allow you to seal the edges of the bailer to the hull - see below

13. SELF BAILER
A self-bailing device as supplied only by the builder may be added. The bailer may be sealed with tape, filler or glue along its edge where it joins the hull and at the screw hole. Filling the screw hole level with the flat surface of the bailer is permitted. Fairing the flat surface of the bailer to the hull shape or changing the profile of the bailer is not permitted.

Its also reccomended that you put some silicone sealant around the hole where the screw goes btw, because otherwise your hull will leak.

I suppose that counts as glue.

Kragen, good point, I put my boat (that has never leaked before) into the water, even with a little sealant, it still leaked like crazy!!! I don't understand, the hole i drill was snug around everything, i used silicone, and it dried for a few days. I'm gonna take it all apart and do it again, something is screwed up, I opened my inspection port and had 3 inchs of water in the hull, not good.

Back