Australian Lasers

Dennis

I just came across this footage trolling on YouTube. Good sailing in tough conditions:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xKpMiFfaVU&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- ROCKO TO FREO RUN[/ame]

Dennis
Tomales Bay, CA

Often someone will post a lame video online, and it will solicit comments like "I want that 3 minutes and 16 seconds of my life back". However, I can honestly say that video is among the best 3 minutes and 16 seconds I have spent online.

Thanks for linking to it Dennis - agree it was well worth the time. (For some reason the inline viewer is not working for me, if that happens to anyone else, just click on the YouTube - Rocko.. title bar and watch it directly at YouTube)

Feel bad for the dude who lost his boom, been there - done that and it sucks.

Got a GoPro HD camera for Christmas, looking forward to getting some footage like this, if nothing else to see all the things I could do better.

Oh man, that made me want to go sailing! Alas, it's raining here today and into the weekend so no luck this time. I gotta get one of those cams.

hi,

out of interest, were do you mount the camera to on your boat? is it just strapped on to the bow eye or can you do something else?

Typically the bow eye (or mast for a different view) - the GoPro camera has a variety of mounts

wow!, thanks that was quick, i will try do something with the bow eye and my waterproof camera for the summer months

Thanks for linking to it Dennis - agree it was well worth the time.

Feel bad for the dude who lost his boom, been there - done that and it sucks.

What to do when the boom 'disappears' under those conditions? Holding out the sail by hand is hard, if not impossible, when it blows.

Related (newbie) question: does the boom float?

I would think it would be pretty hard to actually lose it unless you lost both blocks or had the mainsheet run out... I would think also that there would be so much vang tension in a blow like that it would be hard for it to come off. It must have broken...

What happened then?

The scenario unfolds between 2:30 and 2:45. The second Laser capsizes, is brought back up with the sail flapping. Did the sail tear? As 49208 already noted, it looks like the boom is gone.

Boats were reaching.

Trying to learn something....

A poor choice of words on my part as far as the boom - I didn't mean completely lost as in gone, just lost from it's normal connected position.

When it happened to me, it was an outhaul failure and looking at the vid, I'm guessing that was the cause too. Once the clew is disconnected, it's just a matter of time and waves before the boom releases from the gooseneck. It's still there as prev mentioned, but in big wind/waves, it's a big hassle to try and get everything hooked back up.

No more guessing around, i was the boat with the camera, the metal boom hook/sleeve bent open and the boom was held by the main sheet and later was tied behind the boat with the outhaul while we tried to rig some sort of arrangement, so we could sail home, but with not much luck. We had to tow him into shore and fixed it with some spare rope and sailed home. THE BOOM WAS NOT LOST

Back