Are Mainsheet Cam Cleats legal....

cmnative

Ok....yet another newby question. I really do read all posts that are here on the site. I have learned A LOT. My new question is......
running downwind your sail is 90 degress to the boat hull. When you round the leeward mark and "sheet-in" you are pulling line,letting go to get another bite, pulling line, letting go...etc.
Can I install a swivel based camcleat with my existing hexrachet block to help with the sheeting in process. I prefer to stay class legal, but i have no intentions of trying for the olympics!!!! Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's legal, But in heavy air when you are hiking out it's almost immposible to release the mainsheet from the cleat. That's why any serious sunfish sailers go with cam or clam cleats mounted in line with the ratchet as far apart on the front lip as you can and still through bolt them into the cockpit and use wedge mounts so the cleat lines up with the main sheet.

Thats the type of information I was looking for. I see cam cleats aren't cheap, so maybe Ill finish this year and have a winter project.

THANKS !!!

My wife the SW Regional Rep. says “P I N C H E R S”
Here is the technique: You are rounding the leeward mark.
• Hold your tiller extension with your little finger and the two beside it.
• Start steering up toward close-hauled and pull in an arms length of mainsheet and pull it to the tiller hand.
• Use the thumb and the index finger as a “PINCHER”
• Grab the mainsheet from the other hand with the “PINCHER”.
• Now reach out and grab the next length of mainsheet and pull it to the “PINCHERS”
• It should take about three times to pull the main in all the way.
• This should be a smooth even operation after a little practice
• Don’t cleat your main when the wind is blowing or you will turn over
See, Girls are smarter than we are.
I thought it was impossible but after a few “PINCHER” lessons I can now do it like the Big Girls.

Dinghyone

Ill give pinhers a try before installing cam cleats onto tthe deck.

As far as the "girls are smarer than we are"........
My wife reminds me of that often!!!

tell your wife thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back