What's new

Anyone re rig their Capri 14.2 main sheet with a 4:1 pulley system?

FreeRide

Member
Two things.
1. This substantially increases the load on the boom. I would be cautious, especially if you have an open footed main. I have seem people make similar conversions on larger boats and break the boom.
2. I agree the rigging in the stern is a PITA. I constantly forget to run the tiller through it until after the main is up. But that rigging does most of the work of centering your boom when close to the wind.
Best of luck.

Cheers, Karl
 

aquaman

Active Member
Agreed that it's best to keep the rigging as is. Like you said, there would be undue point force put on the boom, also you would not be able to get it as close hauled as the stock design. And taking that a step further, see the pic showing my light air setup. Simply take a short piece of line and wrap it as shown, this gives great improvement when close hauled. Critical to use a rough faced line with lots of wraps and tied real tight. This keeps the traveler in the middle for better performance to weather. If winds start to increase be sure to remove it for correct and safe performance.
As far as the rigging being a PITA, after 5 seasons of use it becomes almost automatic. But yes, the first season did cause some grief!
 

Attachments

Agree regarding the problems with a centered pulley system and that after time I didn't even notice a stern traveller line being there. My traveler block is attached to the center of the stern traveler line with a bowline loop (see discussions in older threads about keeping the main lead centered on the traveller, knots, etc.) so that the main sheet pull is always from the center of the traveller. That also keeps the line a little higher off of the transom when the sail is winged out or not close hauled. Since I have a small outboard mounted on the stern it also minimized any line snags with the outboard motor steering control. Sailing a dinghy meant giving up an adjustable stern traveller in a track, and I don't think it has reduced the performance for me at all. One less thing to "fiddle" with when single handing.
 

FreeRide

Member
...see the pic showing my light air setup. Simply take a short piece of line and wrap it as shown, this gives great improvement when close hauled. ...If winds start to increase be sure to remove it for correct and safe performance.
Nice hack. Stealing this. I tried the two knots on the bridle setup. It didn't work well for me.
 

aquaman

Active Member
Yep agreed that at first it wasn't good. Then I got a piece of rough surfaced line for better adhesion and did a lot of tight wraps and double knots. And as you say, it only works under light air conditions, you gotta be on your toes and get it off pronto if winds pick up!
 
Top