Any First-half of '07 Regionals?

oompanyc

Any First-half of '07 Regionals?

Would really appreciate someone letting us know the dates early enough to make travel plans. Thanks.

I believe the USSCA needs to put a motion forward, which would allow the Class to change our web service providor or web parson. This is kind of rediculous to not have information updated regularly and maintain interest in our CLass, especially for new members. We can complain about the fall off in numbers; however, the people in charge are not putting the necessary effort into this Class and it is turning members away. There is nothing to promote or generate interest being used on the website, which is a great avenue and resource, nevermind not very expensive. Please, I beg the Class to allow or do some in house research to find another website coordinator or caretaker.

I'd be happy to be involved in this effort in any way needed. I agree that our website is substandard and sends the message that we are not active and of the past -- two images the Sunfish Class simply can not put out if we are to thrive.

Remember each region's site as well as the home class site is/are controlled/updates/maintained by a volunteer(s). So the answer is to volunteer. I'm sure the class would be more than happy to get more participation. The main problem over time is "volunteers" tend to lose enthusiasm and so the site suffers a lack of updating.

The actual class site may be a bit weak, but the forum is one of the most active class forums ever. Good on ya Bradley for keeping this site up so well.

mike4947 said:
The main problem over time is "volunteers" tend to lose enthusiasm and so the site suffers a lack of updating.

I agree Mike, but the fact is that when a webmaster looses interest then the Board of Directors must step in and find a suitable replacement volunteer! That is where this class suffers…we let people stay in positions too long and then when they burn out we don’t replace them in a timely fashion.

But, the "Bored" of directors are also volunteers and they have just as many problems filling their slots and finding time for their "responsibilities". In a perfect world I agree with you, but as long as there are humans involved it ain't gonna be pefect...LOL

OK so I just noticed something in the latest Windward leg that relates to this discussion. Apparently the position of Webmaster is not a “Volunteer” position after all. In the treasurer’s report it indicates that over the last two years we have paid out $1800 for “Webmaster”.:eek:

Note: I’m pretty sure the Regional sites are still handled individually and thus still rely on volunteers.

If that's true that someone is paid, we should not only let the folks who have volunteered do it (I know there has been at least one very compitent person who has volunteered), but we should get an explaination for where that money is going? There is nothing to this site and it seems to be updated once or twice a year, and they are small updates. Apologies if I'm missing something here. Perhaps that $1800 was for hosting services?

With all the negative talk about the sites we do have some good regional sites. I live in the Midwest Region, but am right on the PA/Ohio line. The midwest site is good and delivers good information and contacts for the regatta's. ( Just wish it had the summer schedule a little earlier ) . The New York site is just AWESOME. Brian does a oustanding job for his region as well as posting the regional dates/results from other parts of the country. I sailed in the Upstate New York Regional and I think he had the results on line before I got back to Ohio.
Perhaps he should be offered a contract for the Class site?

I also believe that Brian's site is awesome, but I would also think that Bradley should
also be considered since he has been hosting this forum. In an earlier post Mitch
had stated the Midwest had a good site, Thanks for the kind words, but I ask Gail
Turluck the last couple of years and before that I had Peggy Malecki Irwin to keep
up the Midwest website. So thanks goes to them. I too wish that the schedule would
be ready sooner, but in the Midwest a lot of clubs don't have meetings until February and then
about 2 weeks later after they have made a decission on dates someone needs to change
them. Sooooo it is at least a 6 weeks before things will start to come together. I would like
to schedule the Regionals soon as the Midwest will get 3 this year, and one prospect had
declined. I do need to know when the North Americans are going to be held so I don't
conflict with them. Tom Katterheinrich, Midwest Regional Rep.

Back