Alternate uses for damaged rudder

Breeze Bender

Breeze Bender
I guess anything can be repaired, but these rudders weren’t worth the work so were relegated to garage wall scrap. They remind me of the bad joke about the 3-legged pig. (“A pig this good you don’t eat all at once”) Still, the mahogany lives on in backer blocks and even just added a nice piece as a step for the ladder of a West Wight Potter.

Attachments

• CBDA2D8C-FDBE-4D1D-A0FA-43EEFCB7E83C.jpeg
    CBDA2D8C-FDBE-4D1D-A0FA-43EEFCB7E83C.jpeg
    697.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 5284B5B3-54CC-433E-81D7-1F210AFC1891.jpeg
    5284B5B3-54CC-433E-81D7-1F210AFC1891.jpeg
    720.5 KB · Views: 44
BB and all,

I have also built "new" Sunfish rudder blades from tip damaged daggerboards. There is often just enough good, undamaged wood left, and some of the older wood is better than new lumber yard mahogany.

Alan Glos

Attachments

• L1040591.JPG
    L1040591.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 48
I suspect most of lumberyard mahogany (and teak) are plantation-raised.

Which is a good thing! :)

Some of those old rudders & daggerboards would make nice custom shelves or resting places for adult beverages in palapas, lath houses, gazebos, etc.

Fresh varnish to handle spills, nice nautical touch added to the structure, lol...

My best friend from the surf shop has a primo lath house by the pool in Coronado, and it is decorated 'surf style' with all kinds of cool stuff.

Including classic longboards made by Donald Takayama, those things are worth some real money nowadays...

Well, I'm back to the site where I've been hanging out... it's a trip, lol.

Just dropped by and saw the photos in this thread... nice work in repurposing the wood.

Haven't had any reason to buy any lately, but I heard lumber prices have gone through the roof... which makes repurposing even more attractive, lol.

Back