Advise needed

laser92719

Yesterday was I took my laser out for the first time ever. It was an offshore breeze gusting to 15 knots. I could not handle the boat. I was glad the tide was low in the harbor so that I could stand as after the first major capsize I didn't have the energy to hoist myself out of the water and back on the boat.

Curiously, the one major thing I never did was tighten the vang (I don't know why), enough to where the boom was below horizontal, let alone "two blocked" tight. Was this the major factor to not being able to handle the boat, other than being new to it, and the fact that I'm only 123 pounds? Despite the bruises, I'm a girl who wants to try again. Also, is there an easy way to get back onboard without the boat capsizing on to you?

lol of it was a standard rig then thts a pretty powerful rig for sum1 ur weight! cos in 15 knots u shud at least be able to kkep the boat flat! and yeh it wud have helped to have the kicker on more than block to block! cos this opens the leach and de-powers the rig! i think!

The Laser is not easy to sail in breeze. 123 is very light for a full rig in 15 knots, but you should not have the boat capsize back on top of you when you try to get back in it. Did you have more problems sailing downwind? This is where the boat can be most "squirrely". When getting back in the boat from the water always make sure you are climbing back in on the weather side. Vang is good to a point, but that does not appear to have been you biggest problem. Try sailing in calmer conditions and go through some "controlled" capsizes to help you learn how to right the boat. Also, if there are other Laser you can sail with and learn from that would be a big +.

Hi laser92719,

there are several ways to get back on deck if you had capsized. Here is my "easy"-way:
If I´m "too" tired, after having capsized several times just before, to climb up with my leg(s) on the centreboard, I climb into the boat

(after turning back the hull into the "right" position with pushing the feed [under-water-side] strong against the lip of the gunwale meanwhile, just before doin´ this, holding and pulling with your hands the upper gunwale {position: in the first "1/3" of the hull, the wind comes from behind me})

from the windward side. (Laser does not stand in the wind, but more to the run - mainsheet is "loose" - sail is flattering around in the wind.)

For that, my position is between the mast and the centreboard. I try to catch the mast (at the maststep) with the left arm when I´m, for example, at starboard side of the hull. Then I try hard to push my left leg on the hull and if all goes well, I pull myself with this arm and this leg onto the deck with a short strong swing.
In my opinion, this all need not too much power. Provided, that the depth of the lake is not as deep to turn the boat complete upside down (if that full turning round is possible, there are easier ways to come back into the boat), this above (in my own short words)described way (for me) is an easy way to get back in the boat.

Of course there are more easy ways to get back in the boat - maybe the other "heros of capsizing" of this forum should describe....
stay wet! + bye-bye
LooserLu

Re: Advice needed

If you're sailing a full rig I'd advise changing down to a radial. 123 pounds is very light for a full rig: the consensus here is that you should be normally be about 10 1/2 or 11 stone (154 pounds) for the full rig. (Or else very fit & very good!)

Keep at it & enjoy!

i dont wanna go into this again but 154lb is still a little light for a full rig, especially if you arent experienced. 123lb would be even better suited to a 4.7 than a radial but thats also a matter of opinion, 123lb could get difficult in over 18 knots in a radial

Murphs said:
i dont wanna go into this again but 154lb is still a little light for a full rig, especially if you arent experienced. 123lb would be even better suited to a 4.7 than a radial but thats also a matter of opinion, 123lb could get difficult in over 18 knots in a radial

Agreed. I meant that as a minimum.

Back