advice needed

Dinghyman

I'm new to sailing and my dad isn't too experienced either. We have a 1977 Sunfish that hasn't been sailed in 12 years. During that time, it has been stored outside. Just last summer, we started to work on restoring it and making it ready for the water. I think the sunfish weighs around 165 pounds (we broke my moms cheap bathroom scale weighing the sunfish and never got the exact weight)
We also know that there is quite a bit of water in the hull. We bought inspection holes to install. This is where we need the advice.

If we install the holes, will the sunfish lose value, and if something goes wrong when cutting the fiberglass, will the hull be destroyed?

also, there are sizeable bashes on the bottom of the hull. Could water be coming in through them?

Jeff.

We also know that there is quite a bit of water in the hull. We bought inspection holes to install. This is where we need the advice.

If we install the holes, will the sunfish lose value, and if something goes wrong when cutting the fiberglass, will the hull be destroyed?

also, there are sizeable bashes on the bottom of the hull. Could water be coming in through them?

Jeff.
Jeff,
Can't help you about the value question but cutting the inspection port opening is pretty easy if you use the right tools. I first put down some wide masking tape to protect the deck. I then drilled a couple of holes to allow access for a fine metal cutting blade, and took my time.

Adding inspection ports will alllow you to dry out the waterlogged hull. This will take time but without the ports it is difficult to dry out any waterlogged foam blocks inside the hull.

You can find leaks by performing the "Pressure Test". Apply a slight pressure to the boat and using a soapy water solution, look for bubbles.

Written proceedures and pictures for all the above subjects can be found at Yahoo Group's Sunfish Sailor site. There is no charge for access to that site, only thing required is registering.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor/

(Edited to add hull dryout info.)

I'm new to sailing and my dad isn't too experienced either. We have a 1977 Sunfish that hasn't been sailed in 12 years. .

Jeff.

A hull that old has very little value if it leaks. Therefore, you will increase its value if you fix the problem. More importantly, you will be able to go out on the water and have fun with some confidence in the integrity of your boat.

Back