1985 capri 14.2 cuddy hatch door

spiritcolt

Hi--I just purchased a 85 capri 14.2 but it is missing the cuddy hatch door. Does anyone know of where I can purchase one? Thank you , Kirk

Hi--I just purchased a 85 capri 14.2 but it is missing the cuddy hatch door. Does anyone know of where I can purchase one? Thank you , Kirk
I don't think anyone sells a replacement hatch. I had a 1984 14.2 that had a hatch but it was rotten, so I made a new one out of some 1/4" lexan I had. You could also use starboard plastic. Make a pattern out of cardboard. The hatch slots under the wood piece at the top and just has a turn latch at the bottom. I also looked at replacement hatch assemblies from companies like Tempress, and it looks like there are a few that could be made to fit.

Thank you. I will do that. I think the latch hardware is in the box of spare parts I received with the boat and I was wondering how the top attached

I have a 2006 Catalina Capri 14.2 and am also looking for a cuddy hatch cover like this one from Catalina Direct: Plastic Hatch CP-14.2, CPE-14.2, CP-16.5 '97<->'04

CD wants $140 + $50 S&H, which is pretty expensive for a thin piece of plastic.
The size should be about 23" W x 14" H for an opening of 21 1/4" x 12".

The boat came with a solid piece of 1/2" PVC or similar material that covered the opening.

There are hatches available from companies like Tempress available from many marine supply companies like West Marine, Overton's and others. They are expensive, but you can probably find a better price with lower shipping or free shipping by doing an internet search or visiting a local marine supply store.

Did that Amazon hatch door work for you? It seems kind of big. I'm asking because I may replace mine. I have the original, but all of the wood is kind of 'meh' on mine, lol.

Grover

Did that Amazon hatch door work for you? It seems kind of big. I'm asking because I may replace mine. I have the original, but all of the wood is kind of 'meh' on mine, lol.

Grover
If your boat has a wood hatch, it is not the same model boat as Johndesz's 2006 boat, and a hatch that fits a mod 3 boat won't necessarily fit a mod 1 boat. You will need to measure carefully to find a plastic hatch to retrofit to a mod1 boat, but you could easily use your existing wood hatch as a pattern to make a new hatch out of Lexan or starboard if you don't like wood.

Back