What's inside your boat?

Voodoo 158546

Hard hiking at the end of a 3hr race, killer
Hey people,
it struck me that folk often wonder what's inside their boat, how this connects to that, are there any ply pads to fix to, why does this bit flex etc.etc.
Here's a 1970's hull de-decked.
Note the mast tube repair ( in my view was an average to poor fix ) that has successfully held for centuries.
Note the large transom pad, then the single upright spine of ply....the three blobs of 3m 5200 - two hold the aft cockpit to the hull, the other ties in the drainer.
The two long flat ply sections supporting the planing section of the hull then a simple plate keeping the bow stiff....
Bugger all in the way of fixing pads.
The excess 3m gear gets brittle after a few years and falls away, rattling round inside your hull.
It's usually only the car topping set that notice it as they lift/ flip the boat often...it's not a big deal unless it's from the daggerboard case coming adrift but I've personally only seen one like that but after running over a topper while planing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:
What was it ?
Makes sense, was the 3m gear even invented then .. I got no clue as to the age of this hull, the former keeper etched the hull number off and filled the area with brown crap.
Any clues as to when the glue shift came about are welcome chaps.

Last edited:
Does the cockpit actually sit on the 2 plywood pieces, or does it just float there, attached by the 2 blobs of glue?

It sits on the goop blobs that squash down to more or less contact with the ply skids, it also rests on that vertical spine ply with the same gear same style of bonding.

When I was 17 years old and owned a 470, in preparation for a day of sailing we used to go to the local ice skating rink, go 0ut back and collect a bunch of finely chopped ice from a big pile the Zamboni would make as a result of cleaning the ice rink. We'd load it in a couple of buckets then head to the sailing club.

We'd launch the 470, dump the ice in the big, open cockpit and carefully place a 6 pack or two of beer one bottle at a time evenly in the ice/slush and head out on the open seas. As the ice continued to slowly melt, the slush factor did a nice job of keeping the bottles in place. The scuppers took care of the melt water.

I have one fond memory of my friend Bill out on the trapeze as we did a slow death capsize, bottle of brew in hand, loudly declaring from the gunnel, "Save the beers, save the beers!" as our slush pile and it's valuable cargo began to slide towards a briny end.

Ah, those were the days. All was right with the world when you were out on the trapeze, jib sheet in one hand, and a fine brew in the other. Felt like cosmopolitan pirates we did. I think our beer of choice in those days was Molsen Golden.

- Andy

Andy one of my fondest memories if flipping my 470 on lake lansing and discovering my 12 pack of bud would float. Life in the young fast lane...love it

The "goop" that sticks the hull, deck, cockpit and mast tube together is essentially Bondo, or a generic version of it.

image.jpg
Finally got round to cutting up that old deck to make a hiking contraption, thought you's might like to see what goes when a side deck delaminates..
image.jpg

Back