What happened to colored Lasers?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by sailjacks, Jan 6, 2013.

?

Do you miss colored Lasers?

1. Yes, I liked the colors.

27 vote(s)
    79.4%
  2. No, I don't really care.

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. oztayls

oztayls Member

In Australia you can order a Laser in just about any colour you can think of. Naturally there is a cost aspect and you also need to consider matching gelcoat for repairs. With a huge number of our boats being recirculated charters, they do tend to be generic. Lasers are meant to be generic looking, I think :)

2. Simmonet

Simmonet New Member

So what color (colour) is this baby?

I'm calling it light blue... But sure there's a pet name (or official name) for it.

image.jpg

3. Matt B

Matt B Member

looks like true blue with a dash of smoke grey but as with all colour matching you would have to clean up a patch with cutting compound as that boat looks really dirty. the other thing is you cannot really tell from a pc or a photo as the camera and the display settings could make it look like a totally different colour so its just a guess.
    laser must have made literally hundreds of colour combinations almost every batch seems to vary, i think they just mixed whatever they had to hand so in that case there would be no official name for the colour and if there is and somebody knows what pigments or gel coat to mix together i would be very grateful for the knowledge.

4. oztayls

oztayls Member

You can still order a Laser in just about any colour you want, but it will cost more and you'll have to wait for production before you can collect it. Also, if it needs repairs it may take longer to source the correct gelcoat. Sails however are a different story and you'll have to accept generic white.

5. Ditch Rider

Ditch Rider New Member

How's this.. We are totally rehabing this hull..

We re-did this in gelcoat. now we'll find some kickass sails...

[​IMG]

6. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Not that I would do the same with my boat, but I admire the creativity and think it looks good.

7. Ditch Rider

Ditch Rider New Member

Thanks Torrid... that boat was a total and absolute wreck. I don't know if we'd do it again.. but for this project it turned out really nice.

We are going to mate this to custom grey and tangerine radial laminate sails.

8. CaptainAhab

CaptainAhab Active Member

What kinda kit do you wear when sailing a ride like that?

9. Ditch Rider

Ditch Rider New Member

With this boat there is only one way to ride it.... Commando!

10. mental floss

mental floss Member

The graphics remind me of a Connelly Shortline Graphite slalom from the early 80's.

11. Bungo Pete

Bungo Pete Member

Just finished working on a 1974 vintage boat. Hull is a very manly robin's egg blue - yuk. When it is done, it will be fire engine red so as to be more easily seen. I have been told that Red was one of the original Laser colors.

12. Ditch Rider

Ditch Rider New Member

Time to pick sails for this colored laser.. We are using hitech laminate in grey and tangerine.

Attached Files:

13. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

A (transparent) Hansen sail would look great IMHO and bring out the 'interesting' deck colors.
    I am assuming this is not going to be a 'legal' racing Laser/Torch.

14. Ditch Rider

Ditch Rider New Member

Wavedancer - Certainly not class legal but good enough for most everything else!

15. theSaj

theSaj New Member

Honestly, I think "white hulls" are nicer than many colors. But I could really dig different colored decks. Perhaps a black hull option as well.

If they were smart, whoever gets the contract would do a black and red hull with black and red sails.

16. Voodoo 158546

Voodoo 158546 Hard hiking at the end of a 3hr race, killer

Mines black.. image.jpg
    By choice...

• Like Like x 1
  17. sunfishlaser123

sunfishlaser123 New Member

18. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Ditch Rider, why are you selling the boat after going through all this work?

19. Voodoo 158546

Voodoo 158546 Hard hiking at the end of a 3hr race, killer

Regarding the Whitstable art sails - talking to the guys they say the sails are quite heavy because of the vinyl printing.