Vanguard is No More

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by TheBoathouse, Jan 8, 2008.

1. TheBoathouse

TheBoathouse New Member

Well the news which a lot of us have known for a while is out of the bag. Vanguard is no more. The new company will be called LaserPerformance. It will take a while to warm up to calling it that but change is usually inevitable. On top of that they have a new logo which is interesting.

[​IMG]

2. sailchris

sailchris Member

Interesting. I wonder if this will affect the price-fixing.

Oh, and the new logo reminds me of the London Olympic logo, although not quite as bad. I suppose the stylized "V" is the last remnant of Vanguard. According to Chip Wilkerson, Vice President of Marketing. “The next step was to take a clean, modern look and marry it to a logo that could live beyond our products. I am really happy with where we ended up. We’re positioning ourselves for the future.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "This is the vision at the very heart of our brand," said London 2012 organising committee chairman Seb Coe. "It will define the venues we build and the Games we hold and act as a reminder of our promise to use the Olympic spirit to inspire everyone and reach out to young people around the world. "It is an invitation to take part and be involved."

3. harpo

harpo Member

Is anything changing other than the logo? Or is it just the old Vanguard company with a new marketing department?

4. TheBoathouse

TheBoathouse New Member

Well if you have been following along Vanguard (aka LaserPerformance) was sold to Performance Sailcraft of the UK late last summer. So changes will happen (can you say Hyde sails for everyone?).

5. sailchris

sailchris Member

Hopefully for less than the current UK price from Performance Sailcraft of £390.00 or 769.74 U.S. dollars!

6. fracisco

fracisco New Member

The new logo reminds me of The Thing from the Fantastic 4.

7. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Can you say white hulls and only white hulls for everyone?

8. Ross B

Ross B Guest

So will the NA Laser Performance still be selling non-Laser products? Such as the CFJ and 420, 49er, Opti, Nomad, Pram, , Sunfish, and Vector?

Interesting note that if you still go to the Vanguard site, it's exactly the same except for the company logo.

9. bjmoose

bjmoose Member

Laser Sunfish :D

10. Deimos

Deimos Member

No information or knowledge but I would expect that if it is a decently profitable part of the business then it would stay. If it makes low returns, detracts from very profitable aspects of the business, shows "limited potential", etc. then I would expect it to be cut back or dropped.

After all - it is about money and profit.

Ian

11. Ross B

Ross B Guest

yea, I just ask because they are not Euro Laser boats

12. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Vanguard manufactured a number of other boats, with the Sunfish being the best known. What's going to happen with these? It seems strange to have to buy a Sunfish (or 420 etc.) built by LaserPerformance.

Personally, I don't care for the new logo at all. In my eyes, it bears no relationship to water, wind, sailing or the Laser logo.

13. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Word

14. sorosz

sorosz Member

Didn't we used to buy Lasers from Sunfish-Laser? So maybe it's not that strange buying a Sunfish from LaserPerformance. . .

15. TheBoathouse

TheBoathouse New Member

16. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

What surprises me is that there's no official announcement from Laser Performance that they have taken over Vanguard. I realize the change over happened a while ago and the name change is just one of the visible things about the change. I just got my Winter Laser Sailor magazine, and the column From the Builder is on 4.7 technical tips. We have questions about all the changes, not just the name. A pledge of continued quality seems to be the usual sort of thing.

Or have I missed the big publicity announcement/ event?

17. LQT420

LQT420 Member

18. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

OK, that is better than nothing. We want to know if the boats will change? I know it's a one design, but isn't there variability due to a range in the specs and change in production methods? How will distribution change? How will service change? Will prices change? All this could be respectfully addressed by coming to us in an article in our North American magazine, The Laser Sailor.

19. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I doubt any of that will change Merrily, no need to worry. Hopefully just better products, better customer service, and a worldwide dealer and service network as everyone is under the same sun

20. excollegesailor

excollegesailor New Member

Ross pretty much hit the nail on the head.

As an employee of LaserPerformance, I can tell you with confidence that the Name change will not affect our determination to bring you the utmost quality in service and boats.

You can expect the same great service from LaserPerformance that you received from Vanguard Sailboats. There will be the introduction of several new products to both the UK and US markets, some of which have already been rolled out.

As always, if you have any questions comments or concerns, you can always call us: 1800-966-SAIL (7245) or reach us at info@laserperformance.com