roll-on trailer for seitech dolly - looking for pics, info

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by knot_moving, May 10, 2006.

1. knot_moving

knot_moving Member

Hi there - I searched and have seen references to roll-on roll-off trailer setups but can't seem to find any specifics or pics. If you know of any would you please point me in the right direction?
    This seems like the easiest approach to launching/transporting without needing any extra help.
    What I'm curious about is whether they use a tiliting deck, some sort of drop-down ramp or some other system?
    I'm planning on using a seitech dolly with the trailer
    Mike

2. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

i saw one that had the boat roll up and the dolly was supported on the axel and they pushed it until it went up a 1 inch trangular piece on each side welded on the trailer and dropped down on the other side of it so it was locked in and they strapped it down.

3. bedient@mac.com

bedient@mac.com New Member

4. knot_moving

knot_moving Member

Great pics - I think thats just what I'm after. Maybe do it on the cheap with a single U channel down the center and a couple of 2x6 on the sides, with cutouts for axle.

5. Pop-n-Jack

Pop-n-Jack Member

cool idea, you could just use a landscaping trailer.
    I have a trailex trailer that is so light it is basically a dolly.

6. vtgent49

vtgent49 Member

Hi,

Here are a few pics of trailers I've made. It's quite simple to just adjust the bunks to fit the dolly. I've posted these before, but the search function didn't find them? Maybe I just need more coffee.

Also, in the UK, the dolly on a trailer is actually the normal way to trailer a laser. I tried to google and find it, but couldn't come up with a site. It's called a brambler or something like that. Anyone have that website?

Al Russell 182797

Attached Files:

7. Sarah B

Sarah B New Member

8. LPW

LPW New Member

Is this what you're talking about: http://www.brambertrailers.com/
    Im also from the UK, and cant concieve of any other method for trailering your laser:eek: . The dolly and trailer is the perfect way to do it! The only problem is the trailer weighs almost as much as the laser.

BTW- rooster can only courier their collapsable road trailer and dolly as the others are too big.

9. knot_moving

knot_moving Member

thanks so much for all the suggestions & pics. Based on my history it will be a couple of months, but I'll post pics once I get it done.
    mike

10. glasky

glasky Member

11. archcat

archcat New Member

I like the idea of the dolly on the trailer with the boat on it that Al Russell posted. I am just wondering, does it damage the dolly with all the bouncing and stuff that happens when we trailer our boat. If not...I think I just found a better way of trailering!!!

Cheers
    Mark

12. glasky

glasky Member

Might want to check your existing dolly is strong enough. The dollys on most pro-built slide on set-ups are a bit more robust than some standard dollys. (bit like the difference between a road racing push bike frame and an off/road BMX or trail bike)

Depends on the types of road and how much and fast you travel.

13. vtgent49

vtgent49 Member

The Seitech and truckmar dollys seem fine, with very little deflection in the loaded spot on the axel bar. I considered stiffening this area, but never bothered. Watch that the ratchet straps don't get so tight as to triple the load on the boat/dolly. The dolly bow fitting goes into a V on the trailer, the the rest of the dolly just floats.

I let the bottom boat ride in the strap, but Peter Seidenberg uses padded flip up gunnel hangers on his.

I soften the trailer springs by restacking them, so that the trailer can move 4-5" when I put my 170 lbs on one side, as all bunk trailers are too stiff. The double frame can move the same 5", which can be a bit discerting when viewed in the rear view mirror. However, it makes for a very nice (soft) ride for the boats, much smoother than either Kitty Hawk, or Trailex, and never gets "air".

The blue double has a few mods since the pics, mainly to make room for the spars to ride on the deck of the bottom boat, where they stay the cleanest, as we often trailer to FL in snow and salt. The slide on feature is nice, but I can also use the original bunks to carry a small coach boat, etc.

I start with old (cheap) bunk trailers, and replace everything with new parts. The double has about 450. US$ in it, plus a lot of putzing while our water is hard.

Al Russell 182797

14. bedient@mac.com

bedient@mac.com New Member

vtgent49 - What size tube and wall did you use with the kee lite klamps? Also, it doesn't look like there's enough room to load the bottom boat while on the dolly. Do you load them seperately?

Thanks,
    Doug

15. Kevin Pierce

Kevin Pierce New Member

How do you "restack" the trailer springs?

Kevin

16. vtgent49

vtgent49 Member

Hi,

The bottom boat (of the double) rolls on with the dolly, singlehanded if needed. I kept the second boat low, to keep the whole profile below our Subaru, so it slip streams nicely.

The rack is made from sched. 40 1 1/4 pipe, aluminum. A bit more than needed, until you get bumped by one of those rapid lane changer types. Then it becomes a roll cage... sorta. There is an ebay store that sells the clamps/fittings and pipe at about 30% off. Do some searches, and you'll find it.

Most light trailers are 850-900 lbs rated, and have 3 leaves. By restacking, I mean put the middle spring on the bottom. That way the top, long spring does all the work softly, until it goes far enough to hit the middle (now bottom) helper spring.

If your just doing a single boat trailer, skip the helper spring. As I said, I like the trailer to move 3-5" with my full weight on one side.

Al Russell 182797

17. Kevin Pierce

Kevin Pierce New Member

Many thanks, Al. I'll get started this weekend.

Kevin

18. gald

gald New Member

Did you find any infor on a roll-on trailer?
    If so let me know, I have a dolly and want to single handed get it up on a trailer

19. knot_moving

knot_moving Member

If you look at Al Russel's reply (#6) above you will see pics of the approach I intend to use. Basically I'll tie the boat down on the dolly, then it is a couple of 2x6s on teh trailer bed that I lift the dolly axle up onto & tie the bow down to the front of the dolly and the front of the trailer.

20. Trevor Prior

Trevor Prior New Member

Hi
    I built this trailer I do not like to ask for help and I can roll these two boats on or off in less than 10 minutes. The ramps are stored below the dolly wheels it is real easy.If anyone thinks that I might damage these boats please let me know
    Thank You
    Trevor
    double decker trailer.JPG