Rigging for 15 knots, new to this....

Jonno Snell

Hi everyone. I'm sure you have been asked this before but have been unable to find it, sure would appreciate a comment.
Our family has just brought a lazer, wow, has this opened up some family fun! Should have done it years ago.
We sail in a small but beautiful lagoon at Norfolk Island and our winds are usually in the 10 to 15 knot range, bit lighter last weekend.
Can anyone suggest what the best rigging 'style' for this is? I have been shown everything pulled as tight as possible, but have read different regarding outhaul (fist should fit between sail and boom), vang (not too tight), cunningham (just tight enough so wrinkles) and sail set-up.
What knot range do you start to pull things tighter?
Can anyone offer some guidance?
Thanks in advance.

If you are not overpowered then have the outhaul set as so the deepest part of the sail is a handspan from the boom (this give the most power and is a useful rule of thumb). When the wind gets up then gradually reduce this down to the width of a clenched fist (this is also the same for then the wind gets light).

Cunningham you only really need to use when you are sailing upwind. If you are just reaching around and enjyoing the ride then you will probably not need to touch this.

Same with the kicker, set it so the boom is at 90 degrees to the mast and just trim the main.

If you fancy going upwind you will need to pull some kicker on and cunningham on.

As for wind range it really is a personal thing. Once you start getting overpowered (ie unable to hold the boat flat by hiking) you need to start depowering by pulling the outhaul on and then using cunningham.

In 15kts with a sailing weight of around 180lb I would not expect you to need to use too much of either, just trim the main in the gusts to keep the boat flat.

Obviously if you are lighter or heavier you will need to start to depower at different wind strengths.

Then enjoy the ride!

Hi Jeffers, thanks for that. Really appreciate it.
What would be the strongest wind you've sailed a laser in? Reason for asking is I am wondering whats extreme etc.
THanks again

Jeffers is a very smart laser dude, having said that, for a fairly newbie, up wind 20 kn and up I struggle, but if you can just blast reach I can handle 25 + and giggle all the way around the lake. Just make sure your shorts are snug around the waist. I have almost lost them planing.....

One of the requirements of participating in World championships is that you can handle a Laser in 25 mph. To be honest, I would be struggling (or worse) in those conditions.

F6 with gusts thrown in...gnarly
That's with everything pulled on hard and feathering the sail.

I tend to drop down to a radial when the wind strength gets about 20kts sustained (because is it more fun and because I am not as young and fit as I used to be).

But the advise I would give is:

All points of sail:

Outhaul, never tighter than the width of a clenched fist (you need a little bit of belly to maintain the shape)

Upwind:

Cunningham on as hard as you can. It will stretch the sail very quickly but you need this to flatten the luff and make the leech goes loose so the excess power has somewhere to go

Kicker/vang keep pulling it on until you really cannot get under the boom then gradually ease back but never less than 'block to block'

Reaching:

Cunningham eased off unless you are really over powered

Kicker\vang eased but with enough on to stop the boom 'skying'

Running (good luck):

Cunningham off (it does nothing when running)

Kicker\vang eased but with enough on to stop the leech from blowing too far forward (the leech blowing forward is what cause 90% of death rolls in a blow).

Mainsheet. Do not let the boom go out more than 90 degrees, in fact you might want it in more like 75-80 degrees to help reduce the presented sail area.

If you sail in that wind for fun just reach around, I love getting the boat flying on a reach when it is windy.

Back