Ouch!!!

NeilAus

Had a bit of a mishap with a bloody motor cruiser today :( B*tard didn't hang around to get details so I'll probably have to fix this myself. Any tip on repairing this will be most appreciated.

20140504_160227.jpg 20140504_160234.jpg 20140504_160220.jpg

top is ok, just a case of grinding teh gel coat down to the fibreglass and building it back up again, underneath look a bit more trickey, again if it's just the gelcoat thats cracked youll get away with grinding it down and rebuilding, if the fibreglass ic compromised you might need some fibreglass filleer or epoxy in there to strengthen it al up again, before a few coats of gelcoat to finish.

I have a few photos of a job i'm 80% fnished and it was probobly a bit worse that than....

just need one final coat of gelcoat, some wet/dry and polishing.....

having said all that, it looks like your deck has seperated from your hull, probobly not something i'd want to fix myself, depending on teh circumstances of the crash, i might start hunting for this arse since that looks like significant damage....

Attachments

• 2014-04-02 18.50.01.jpg
    2014-04-02 18.50.01.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0101.jpg
    IMAG0101.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMAG0102.jpg
    IMAG0102.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 60
Peice of piss Neil,
worst bit about that job will be the prep - all that nasty polyester to clean out.
First though, do you not have insurance ? Can you sail from your club uninsured ? I'd call that in if I were sure I wasn't at fault.
Re fixing, you can do a quick bodge....I mean temporary fix, or a more thorough permanent repair.
Obviously the latter would take, a - more time, b - more materials (more £'s/ $'s) c - more patience & a little skill ...but the end result is well worth it. You are confident in the boats structural integrity, you gain experience and satisfaction of doing it right.
You could on the other hand just slap in a bunch of car body filler, scuff it up and smear any old gelcoat over it.
Personally I'd put a bit of effort in and reap the rewards of doing a decent job.

What route would you like to go Neil ?

Re the above " one final coat of gel coat " erm....well gel cost is/should only be about the thickness of a hair, it's not a filler to use in building up a hole.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll bring it home so I can fix it properly over the winter, insurance is 3rd party only unfortunately, I've done a bit of fibreglass work in the past so should come out ok. With a bit of luck the water police will track it down it was a unique looking boat.

Without teaching you to suck eggs....
Lift and wedge the deck very gently and carefully, clean out what you can.
Get inventive to fabricate your own sanding tools - a thin bit of scrap ali' bent to the curve of the lip, sandpaper wrapped around it for instance....will allow you clean it nicely.

It's a case of removing the shattered splintered glass until you reach solid structure, taking the gel coat off a touch beyond the working area. Give yourself a fighting chance by avoiding rectangle or square patches, keep things oval / circular.
Hoovering it. Cleaning up with acetone. Cut patches from 200gsm cloth, alternating weaves. Tape around and very close to the fix. Clean the area(s) again. Wet lay up, consolidating thoroughly.
Your biggest enemies are dry fibres and your own patience.
Build up to almost flush ( knats chuff). Let cure. Key up with 80 grit.
Gel coat.
There's a couple of hours work there, the bulk of it in the prep but it's no drama to diy, a firm will rip your money out your pocket to do this

As far as getting someone to do it, I was quoted 300GBP for mine,im not sure I'd be happy with that given what I've done myself for less than 50 quid in materials/tools.....

Just been reading up on West System epoxies, seems like that's the way to go, will pick the boat up and bring it home on the weekend then attack it. Thanks for the advice guys.

If you haven't got one get a dremal type grinder, really made the prep very easy for my job...

Back