New Standard Laser Sail Design

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Sail4SC, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Sail4SC

Sail4SC Member

Laser News Flash.. There could be a new laser sail design in our near future. An unmarked sail was spotted in Terrigal, Australia at the Master Worlds last week. It was openly rigged in the boatyard (rugby field), it was tested on a windy (15-18 knots) practice day before the championship started... this new design seem to be made from a heavier and superior cloth weight. Additional differences included carbon scrim to reinforce a significantly larger window, a radial cut similar to the current radial sails. The experimental sail was taken out for a spin by well known NA class president and looked to have good bend characteristics with the current laser mast sections. A noticeable non-fluttering tighter leech and 3 parallel draft stripes make it stand out in a crowd..

Let's get this thing on some ballet and vote it in!.. :)

Attached Files:

2. dougreynolds10

dougreynolds10 Member

i hope there just updating the sail and not the price

3. Ross B

Ross B Guest

The sail could be uglier....

4. henrikdagfinrud

henrikdagfinrud New Member

I have followed the rather heated thread on the quality of Laser sails, and have a question to you more experienced sailors:

Wouldn't it be possible to produce and sell hi tech sails, in the correct Laser-shape, for everyday training? That way you could get relevant training every day, all season, with the same sail shape as your mint regatta sail that you unpack the day before the first big event, to be class legal?

5. ChalmersP

ChalmersP Member

6. Scott B

Scott B Member

Yes, it is very possible.

I bought one from Benson sails several years ago - it is cut like a class-legal sail, but is made from a more durable cloth and lasts longer. He also makes better designed sails from both Dacron and mylar, but I decided not to get one of those so my practice sail would better mimic my race sail.

7. fracisco

fracisco New Member

The Rooster 8.1 has leech panels made of mylar (the different color you see). Also, the windows are different shapes/sizes.

8. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Here is the answer to your prayers: http://www.intensitysails.com/
    There are several threads on this forum related to the pros and cons of these sails.

9. bjmoose

bjmoose Member

Check out that cut! Is it really a radial cut? Or are those just fold lines? I can't tell from the supplied photo.

10. bjmoose

bjmoose Member

Not a fan of draft-stripes, then?

11. Ross B

Ross B Guest

No I LOVE draft strips with a burning passion, had em on my Sabot. I just think the Window is fugly big, and I think a better sail material could have been used. I would like to see something different, not reinvent the octagonal wheel

12. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Looks like an about $800-900 sail that will be a big help to Olympic sailors.

13. Ross B

Ross B Guest

the price doesn't matter as much to them, with help from their national organization, their YC, donations, and sponsors

14. bjmoose

bjmoose Member

I re-read the original post and see that the author says that it IS a radial cut sail.

If it'll be more durable, I'm game.

15. Ross B

Ross B Guest

I think Radial cuts are better at keeping their shape and have less stretch yada yada yada

16. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Though I doubt this sail will be less expensive than the current sail, I'm going to try and keep an open mind. The main problems I see with the current sail are quality/consistency of the material and overall durability of the sail through a season.

If class officials decide to present this sail to the class for approval, I think they would need to consider these areas:
    - Specify the deficiencies of the current sail design they are trying to fix
    - Address how this new design solves those problems
    - Justify the expected increase in price
    - Address how the new design will affect boat performance, particularly considering the wide weight of those who sail Lasers

Period change for a class can be good (like the Pro rig upgrades). However a simple "newer is better" is not enough reason to make a major change like a new sail design.

17. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

I see it comes with telltales that always read perfect trim LOL

[​IMG]

18. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

It is indeed radial cut. OR perhaps a reverse mitre cut? Old presidents pining for the good ol' days? LOL

19. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

[​IMG]

as the enlarged pic shows, 4 radial panels above a large bottom triangle with a long flat strip just after the sleeve. Christ that window is ugly ! LOL why not just make the bottom triangle see-through? And check out the delightfull bunching at around 2/3 up the mast.

I dunno, I'm all for a new sail, but my BS radar has a blip on it. Gremlin moving fast off the starboard quarter, could be photoshop hoax... LOL

20. turquoise boat

turquoise boat New Member

Cor blimey,

the amount of whinging about needing a new sail design etc. and then when there appears to be moves to get one sorted out all that happens is people gripe about it!

I think the sail could well be pretty cool and look forward to seeing how it goes. I'm sure if its rubbish then its design will be changed until its not.

Result!