Moving from Optimist to Laser 4.7 - any tips?

TomG98

Hi, I weigh about 7 stone (44kg) and I've just got a laser 4.7, my next boat after stopping competitive optimist sailing as I am too old now (15).

I just wondered if anybody has any tips on how best to adjust to the different boat - are there any specific differences between a laser and other boats that are useful to know?

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Congratulation for your new boat, your first Olympic sailboat. I am sure you will enjoy the good balance and sensitivity of the Laser, and in a year or two, you will be looking forward to upgrade for the radial sail ( 60-75Kg), and maybe later the full rig ( 75-90Kg). Go on your boat, play and discover its balance; swim a bit and roll it back. Spend time on the water, sail side by side with other Lasers to develop boat speed. The Laser likes to be sailed flat- especially upwind. Ask specific questions and you'll get answers. The sailors on this forum are so knowledgeable and helpful. Enjoy- and welcome to Laser Fleet. 2020 Olympics?

Nice to hear that you chose the 4.7 as your next boat. You've probably been tired of the Opti since you were 13. They are great training boats for 8-12 years old. But the kids get too big.

Biggest difference is stability. Opti's are actually hard to capsize. The short rig, flat bottom, and hard chine make them very stable. The Laser has a tall mast and round bottom. They want to capsize all the time.

You will get the hang of it with a bit of practice. You are at the perfect age to start with the 4.7

Good Luck

Hello mate !
Be prepared to work a lot harder, go out on calm days and capsize on purpose, practise righting and climbing back in. Do it a couple of times.. Only if you have safety cover though.
Be careful not to wear yourself out here and make sure you're gears all tethered - rudder, mast, daggerboard. Tiller pin in the stock ?
You'll find that your body trim plays a major part, don't just sit on the side deck like a passenger - the boat rewards an active sailor, be a driver. It will involve a lot of moving about keeping the boat flat as poss , in light airs you will have seen folk heeling their laser on top of them ( trying to put the centre of effort over the centre of resistance) it feels counter intuitive at first but the only way to find the limit is to go beyond it ( good cap recovery practice when you push it).
Read the common sail control settings, apply them when you're sailing, don't be shy to play with the sail controls.
A common thing with youngsters in Lasers is they think they are sailing flat but they are not, a quick look at your transom /quarters will tell you.
Keep a swivel head- ie always be flicking your eyes to weather, to leeward, to luff to leach, to weather....you get the idea.
Practice practice practice, time on your boat is key. Don't be shy to ask more experienced folk at your club for tips or advice.
Above all, enjoy while you learn and try not to drag her up the beach / hit anything...
Have fun

Use hiking pants. These won't making hiking any easier but it helps a lot in the long run. Although pants are expensive, they are definitely worth the investment. Whatever is comfortable work.
Here are some that work well for me.
Sea Pants
Zhik Power Pads

Back