How to store boat on hoister

B-L Bandit

Leeward Bound and Down
I just got harken hoister 4 point system. Should i be storing my fish right side up with the deck towards the ceiling or with the deck facing the ground?

Doesn't matter. Its more a question of if you are lowering it onto a trailer or cartop which way you want it to rest on the trailer or car. BB

As BB says, depends on how you're going to cart it. One suggestion. If you'll be storing the boat for a while - say over the winter - you might want to suspend it with two additional lines through eye bolts in your ceiling beams, then release the hoister a bit to take the strain off the system. Just added insurance. I store two 'fish in my garage that way and have never had any worries about any support letting go.

As BB says, depends on how you're going to cart it. One suggestion. If you'll be storing the boat for a while - say over the winter - you might want to suspend it with two additional lines through eye bolts in your ceiling beams, then release the hoister a bit to take the strain off the system. Just added insurance. I store two 'fish in my garage that way and have never had any worries about any support letting go.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Is the system easy to install? I have a friend who is a contractor stopping by the house Tuesday to do some oddjobs, him and I will be tackling the whole operation. Any suggestions?

I have a four point system in my garage, and it's awesome. I have a "hump" in my garage where the garage door opener hangs down. This required me to build supports to hang the blocks from. I'm going to attach pictures because I'm proud of my system. It enables me to come home with my boat on my roof and unload it alone (one handed at that). Oh yeah, make sure to use a studfinder.

Attachments

• Image027.jpg
    Image027.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 87
  • Image029.jpg
    Image029.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 107
I'm adding another picture so you can see the strut on the triangle that keeps it from folding in. The steel is available at Harbor Freight. If anyone has questions about the way I built it, please let me know. It's all tied in to studs, and I'm fully confident that my boat isn't going anywhere.

Attachments

• Image028.jpg
    Image028.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 105
Good pix of the setup. One more obvious point - make sure your garage door will clear the "fish. Mine is close but works.

My fish actually hangs below the open door. I pull it up until it's about two inches underneath. It hasn't been a problem - My Honda Odyssey actually has a foot of clearance.

I just saw a ceiling lift for your garage on Costco's, used for bike storage and other items. $199, maybe that is something you can try.

Back