Getting A New, Tight Connector Sleeve To Fit

andyatos

Thought I'd share this because the solution was simple and quick.

As per my other post, I got a new connector sleeve for my upper mast but it was an extremely tight fit on the mast. Had to use a hammer just to get it a little ways up the mast and then realized there was no way it was going to work with it that tight. By the way, took a close look at my 2 new connector sleeves, one from Intensity and one from APS, and they were identical. Almost for sure from the same manufacturer.

The first attached photo shows how I got the new sleeve off the mast. I had a piece of PVC pipe laying around that had a 2 inch inside diameter (ID), cut a 10 inch section and used that as a "pile driver" to get the connector off. Very quick.

Next, it was clear that the inside of the connector sleeve had to be sanded. So I used another section of PVC pipe I had laying around (left over from a dolly I built for the Laser) that had a one and seven eighths inch outside diameter (OD), and taped a couple pieces of sand paper, one 60 grit and one 220 grit, to the PVC pipe. See the second attached photo.

With the sand paper over the PVC pipe, the outside of the pipe and sandpaper almost matched the curve of the inside of the connector sleeve. Then it was just a matter of doing an even number of strokes with the connector back and forth over the 60 grit, rotating the connector, more strokes and repeat until I had done one full revolution of the connector. Check the fit on the mast and repeat.

This also was a nice, quick solution. Within 10 minutes, I had the connector fitting nicely. Then finished up the inner surface a bit with the 220 grit.

And here's something interesting I discovered. After doing my first full revolution of sanding the connector, I looked inside it and found that they had been manufactured with a couple of ridges that ran perpendicular to the orientation of the mast. High spots. Those showed roughness from the sanding while parts of the inside surface were still smooth.

Anyway, now the connector sleeve slides easily up the mast. Just waiting for some stainless steel 3/16 inch pop rivets to arrive. I tried 4 major, name brand hardware stores nearby and they didn't have any. Had to order some online.

Cheers,

- Andy

Getting Connector Off Mast.jpg
Sanding Mast Connector.jpg

Nice - thanks for posting your solution.
I think you definitely earn extra credit "simple, smart, + effective" points for your PVC sandomatic pipe -- very slick for sure.

I would suggest you move to Sydney...

Bought replacement connector sleeves online from laserdirect.com.au at the right price, which subsequently arrived on time.

Went to a screws/fasteners wholesaler about 400m from my office who supplied me with stainless 3/16 rivets - as I only wanted half a dozen, they were free of charge - the counter sales guy said "No worries mate... We only sell them in boxes of 500..."

Went home, slid the connectors on - perfect fit...

Riveted 'em up - no drama...

Sat down - had a beer...

God's country...

Hi Emilio,

I'd like to flip my mast but I hesitate because of the following story. The previous owner only used lightweight bungees to hold the mast and boom sections down on the deck while trailering.

So... while he was trailering one day, one of the bungees popped of, the top end of the mast jumped off the boat, sprung off the pavement and into a vehicle that was traveling next to the trailer when it happened.

The mast tip took out the next door vehicle's side mirror and left a finger tip sized ding in the mast 6 inches from the end. I think it will be ok living at the top of the mast. Not so sure if it became the bottom.

I'll take a photo, post it on the forum and you all can tell me if you think I could still flip the mast. Maybe I could place the ding opposite of the compression side of the mast, ie, on the leading edge.

- Andy

Martz,

I may end up visiting you in Sydney sooner than you think. Considering the sh$t storm that's brewing in the US with the Fed and our astronomical debt, we already have made plans of where we are going to go if things get too crazy here; Australia.

If nothing else, I'll know that I'll have easy access to appropriate Laser parts if we end up there!

Cheers,

- Andy

I just got the new harken block set pack, the rivetts in the pack are stainless aswell. I've stashed them and fitted my own.
I fancy it's corporate conspiracy..

Back