4.7 division and light sailors

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by rerun, Jun 27, 2006.

1. rerun

rerun New Member

i just want to add to that that in 2004 for the mooloolaba winter dinghy regatta we sailed in 35knot gusting wind. they didnt can the race, thus proving that not all clubs cancel racing at 25knots

2. laser2_9804

laser2_9804 New Member

Yes, I know. I kind of meant more small casual club races etc are the ones that often get canned due to inexperienced people. But you're right, to say 'ALL' was a bit of an overgeneralisation.

At the 125 Nationals in Perth last year we had one race with gusts up to 47 knots! They didn't can it and denied that it was that windy. They reckon it only got up to 20 knots (bull!) I couldn't believe how big the waves were! It was scary actually and there was so much carnage!

3. rerun

rerun New Member

haha.. yer it was a very general view.. ur prolly rite though about the smaller club events being canned. 47knots is always fun:D
    that wuldv bin scary if you were sayin there was carnage. i remember in ants we used 2 go out in that for club stuff and it was fun... but you generally ended up breaking something or injuring yourslef

4. BillyH

BillyH New Member

How about moving into a different division where there's none of this, "I'm heavy but I'll sail a 4.7 anyways because I'm cheap like that"

5. rerun

rerun New Member

because when theres only one division for your weight thats raced on the inernational circuit its pretty limited lol

6. dubaisailer186065

dubaisailer186065 Member

i have jsut moved up to radials from 4.7 and i only weigh 65kg. in the middle east i found that i was too heavy for the winds as they were mostly very light so that is the reason why i have moved up but where you are going to be sailing has alot to do with it i rekon

7. radialsailor_luckyduck

radialsailor_luckyduck New Member

okay
    i weigh only 85 pounds...
    15 lbs too light for even the radial
    but i still do it
    why?
    you know...
    i havent figured that out yet
    hmmm

8. radialsailor_luckyduck

sry i meat 15 lbs too light for 4.7

9. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

Cough cough OPTI'S why are you even in a laser? you should still be in a Opti!i just stopped sailing optis 1 month ago. im 13, and weigh 120. im in a radial now.

10. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

The 4.7 is meant for sailors between 80 and 120 lbs, so if he's Lasering, he should be in a 4.7. However, many places in the states don't have 4.7 fleets yet.

11. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

yeah, my yc doesnt, but if it blows over 15 kts at the orange bowl, im doin 4.7

12. radialsailor_luckyduck

ya well ur weird

13. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

easy there radial sailor, no need to get personal about this.

14. sailingchik

sailingchik New Member

hmmm.. i weigh around 55kg and am sailing a radial. :S it's challenging but fun once you start planing and going faster than everyone on the reaches and downwinds!:p

15. blacklionboy

blacklionboy New Member

i have the same problem but this has helped me think it out

16. mee168

mee168 New Member

Hello rerun,

I am around 50kg.. and I have always been wishing for 4.7 to get popular in my country... unfortunately this is not likely to happen.

I am sailing a radial at the moment with of course I am easily overpowered.. But my point is you still can enjoy sailing in your 55kg in a radial *wink*

17. bguez91

bguez91 New Member

hello
    What is the maximum weight for a Radial? It's for racing. Some of you say that is 200lb other 150lb.............. im lost...
    thanks bye

18. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

probably around 165, the suggested competative weight is 155 according to paige railey.