2012 Laser Masters Worlds

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by Tillerman, May 5, 2011.

1. colindibb

colindibb New Member

Thanks Chuck.

2. torrid

torrid Just sailing

But what about clearing customs? I thought I read someone tried this once and ran into issues.

3. chtripp

chtripp New Member

Not an issue as long as what goes in matches what goes out. It is all just Sports Equipment.

4. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

Right, you may be remembering the seized container a few years back. That was an issue where boats had been purchased in one builder's region and were being imported into another builder's region. The claim was that at least some of the boats were being imported for sale after the fact, which is a trademark violation.

This gets complicated quickly and I'm invariably not going to state this 100% correctly, but, basically, if you go to, say, Japan to sail in a regatta and you buy a boat there, then you can import it back home for your personal use (that's how we see Australian boats here in North America). But if someone you know goes to, say, Australia and buys some boats, brings them home and then tries to sell you one then there is a trademark violation and LP could (and would) come after you. Just as I'm sure PSA would do the same if people in Australia did the same with boats not built in Australia.

5. torrid

torrid Just sailing

List them as "Kirby Dinghies" in the shipping paperwork, strip off all the starburst logos, and I guess you should be set.

6. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

I can't remember the term any more, but there is a way the temporary importation, it's used a lot for trade shows.

7. TonyB

TonyB Member

8. oztayls

oztayls Member

The Aussies here will be aware that our national Masters Championship was to be the week before the Worlds at the same venue, ie. RQYS from 5th to 8th March 2012. Has this now changed? This has been posted on the Lasers Downunder website: http://www.qldlasers.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/2012-Laser-Masters-Nationals.jpg

Same venue, but is this an official change to 11-14 May 2012? Can anyone confirm this as I have booked accomodation in Brisbane in March!?

9. TonyB

TonyB Member

Hi Oztayls, the dates on the Laser Downunder site for the Aus Masters Nationals are out of date - May was the old plan before the Worlds moved to Brisbane.

The Nationals are definitely on at RQ in early March. Not sure if the 5th to the 8th is the final decision, but it should be close to that. I'm hoping it moves a couple of days earlier so we have time to recover before the Worlds!

10. oztayls

oztayls Member

Thanks for that Tony. Yes, it will be a challenge for the old body to recover in just 2 days alright!

11. oztayls

oztayls Member

I hear the dates have changed slightly for the Aus Masters Nationals. 05/03/2012 – 07/03/2012 (Day1: 2 races, Day 2: 3 races, Day 3: 2 races) Not sure if 3 races in a day is all that wonderful, but you'll have 3 rest days before the Worlds.

12. redstar

redstar New Member

Is it just me or is this getting ridiculous? Four months until the Masters Worlds and no Notice of Race, no entry form, no web site with any real information.

If this doesn't start moving quickly the delays are going to have a serious impact on entry numbers and the quality of the regatta. We need to be booking flights, accommodation, time off work, but have very little info to go on.

Time is running out to save this regatta.

13. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

Could it be that the delay in opening up entries for the Masters Worlds is, in some way, linked to the ongoing dispute between Global Sailing, LaserPerformance Europe and Bruce Kirby about design rights, and the ILCA's current attempt to change the fundamental rule in a way that might impact this dispute? Just wondering...

14. wtm

wtm New Member

Can someone advise what would normally be expected for wind in the Race Area in March
    Looks like more the 20 knots would be unusual?
    Trying to decide on Radial vs Standard Rig

15. TonyB

TonyB Member

20 knots plus is quite possible. Typically in March high pressure systems move across the bottom of Australia pushing a ridge up the Queensland coast with south easterly breezes the result, fading into lighter easterlies as the high moves into the Tasman Sea. The south easterlies vary in strength and duration depending on the size and speed of the high, but normally come through at at least 15-20, with 30 knots generally the upper limit.

It's not uncommon for a big high to stay almost stationary for a week, delivering fresh to strong breezes for the duration. More common though is for two or three days of 15-20 knots SE fading into a 10 knot easterly for a couple more days until the next high moves in.

If we're not in a south easterly cycle, light to moderate thermal north easterlies are the other possibility. By March the probability of these exceeding 15 knots is fairly low. Less than 10 is also pretty rare unless they race us in the morning.

16. Matt

Matt New Member

I asked ILCA regarding notice of race, place allocation two weeks ago:

Dates unlikely to change (9th until 17th March)
    Country allocation this week
    Application should open on 1st December

Anyway late for organizing everything because confirmation of place will be in January I assume but at least the entry limit is 350 - should be enough .....

17. TonyB

TonyB Member