Class Politics YES!! You Can Become a Measurer!!

What do you think about measurers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
It is pretty darned easy to become a measurer and the ILCA Constitution is relatively simple about describing the process.

First:
There is one Chief Measurer who is appointed by the World Council. That Chief Measurer has 100% of the decision making authority. (reference Article 6(5) of the ILCA Constitution)

Having said that. District measurers are really useful folks. We can't make any decisions but we do sorta know the rules and care about them more than most and we generally can help people to avoid sailing with equipment that just plain is not supposed to be used.
Nobody wants to sail in a Laser race with a illegal boat and every sailor is always happy to hear when you helpfully point out how to correct an illegal boat.
Also, nobody likes an anal retentive socially challenged rules jerk. Measurers are there to help everybody play the intended game. Measurers are not there to catch people and throw them out.

Here is how to get involved.
1. Admit willingness
2. Read the rules and try your very best to absolutely understand them.
3. Check out the interpretations which are posted on the ILCA site.
4. Get the "District Association" to appoint you and send some paperwork to the Chief Measurer for approval.
5. Help in any way you can but...remember, you cannot make rulings or decisions and

NEVER..."wing it"

Either you are 100% certain and you add "but I am not the final authority" to your advice....

Or

You tell your fellow confused sailor you are not sure ( and hopefully you do something to find out the correct answer.)

Yes, I am a measurer. I have been one since sometime in the early 1980s and I cannot tell how it is other than a lifetime appointment ...so I guess I can only stop by croaking.

Also, in a few hundred regattas where I have looked at the various boats, I have never had any sailor complain about being told what is probably OK and probably not OK. Most Laser sailors who compete actually want to play the Laser game.

Last..It is really really hard to type with a young playful cat in your lap.

Fred Schroth ( only forum post I have ever actually signed)

Back