Winterizing

Thread starter #1
Tis the time of year to get sailing off the brain, and enter the workshop...and time to clean the boat up and put it away.

As I do this...I wonder if anyone does anything special to winterize their boat.

I store outside under a tarp...bring the sails, centerboard, tiller, mast, and rigging to my basement...keep the snow off the tarp the best I can, and make sure to roll the trailer around every once in a while...anyone in my shoes do anything else?

Just posting as I'm bored and still have sailing on the brain.

Canoe

I keep my canoe upside down atop the Capri, with the tarp over both and it sheds the snow nicely. I built a little 2x4 rig that rests across the Capri gunwales near the transom for the canoe rest on. I don't get water in at all but keep the drain plug loose just in case and put some ant traps in the cuddy to deter them.

...time to clean the boat up and put it away.

...anyone does anything special to winterize their boat.

I store outside under a tarp...bring the sails, centerboard, tiller, mast, and rigging to my basement...keep the snow off the tarp the best I can, and make sure to roll the trailer around every once in a while...anyone in my shoes do anything else?
I store mine on its trailer. I don't clean it too much since during the winter we use a blower to clear leaves and debris, so the Capri gets a lot of dust.

She's stored with mast down on its crutch. We have a hull cover that fits tightly. Then I put a 12x16 heavy duty tarp over the mast, which makes a nice tent. Bungee in strategic locations; cover the 3 feet of exposed mast on each end and we're done. Except, you are right -- it makes me sad each time I walk by her.

We don't get snow in Central California so I don't have to worry about crushing weight; however, I do place three PVC "V's" over the mast, under the tarp, to provide some support around midships. BTW, the "V's" are made of two 4 ft sections of 3/4" joined with an slip elbow.

Question: Do you really take the centerboard out? ... or did you mean rudder?

-- Ed