What's the maximum wind speed and minimum water temperature for a novice sunfish sailor ?

Minimum temps are:
  • Whatever you are comfortable swimming in with a swimsuit (60F+)
  • 50 is the practical limit assuming you are wearing layers and waterproof clothing or a wetsuit
  • 32 is the absolute limit, though this would be very dangerous to sail in.
Remember that the colder it is, the more dangerous it is to sail.

The maximum wind speed would probably be 11-14kn for a beginner.

I hope this helps! A good book to get for studying would be Steve Sleight's The Complete Sailing Manual.

I welcome any corrections, as I am new to providing sailing answers.

I live on the Atlantic Ocean in Nova Scotia. The ocean water is 54 today. I think, as you said, I'll wait until its 60 to start sailing this season.

Thanks for your advice.

To be safe, the water temp plus the air temp should be 120 or more, with water temp at least 60. If the water is below 72, wear a wet suit. Below 65, wear a dry suit. If you don't always wear a PFD, you MUST wear one when the water is below 75. Water below 60 can make your hands go numb and be useless in just a couple of minutes making it really difficult to recover from a capsize.
I agree, wind speed max at 14 kn for a beginner. Above 10 kn, you will get wet. Wear a whistle and your phone in a waterproof case (where you can use the phone while it's in the case).
Have great fun! But be safe.

I tell a 'novice' to look for 4 to 8 mph winds in the summer with warm air and water.
With colder air and water it gets complicated. Things to consider are: the sailor's level of fitness, the likelihood of getting splashed (and how much), the likelihood of getting soaked, what garments are being worn, how long it takes them to right a capsize, likelihood of capsize, how long it takes to get back to shore for dry clothing, availability of rescue by other boats, &c.
Cortiseas: If you have been out 7 times last year, you're probably past being a novice. Heed the advice given above and happy sailing!

To be safe, the water temp plus the air temp should be 120 or more, with water temp at least 60. If the water is below 72, wear a wet suit. Below 65, wear a dry suit. If you don't always wear a PFD, you MUST wear one when the water is below 75. Water below 60 can make your hands go numb and be useless in just a couple of minutes making it really difficult to recover from a capsize.
I agree, wind speed max at 14 kn for a beginner. Above 10 kn, you will get wet. Wear a whistle and your phone in a waterproof case (where you can use the phone while it's in the case).
Have great fun! But be safe.
I have never heard about the water and air temperature should be above 120. That's a good way to decide whether to go out or not.

I tell a 'novice' to look for 4 to 8 mph winds in the summer with warm air and water.
With colder air and water it gets complicated. Things to consider are: the sailor's level of fitness, the likelihood of getting splashed (and how much), the likelihood of getting soaked, what garments are being worn, how long it takes them to right a capsize, likelihood of capsize, how long it takes to get back to shore for dry clothing, availability of rescue by other boats, &c.
Cortiseas: If you have been out 7 times last year, you're probably past being a novice. Heed the advice given above and happy sailing!
Yes, seven times and I haven't gone turtle yet. Oops. Shouldn't have said that out loud. This year I will try a turtle recovery near a beach.

There are some possibilities to prevent turtle, you can find some on this forum. Some of the members of my club attach an empty gallon container (such as a bleach container) to the halyard before slipping the halyard through the top of the mast. When the upper spar gets to the top it keeps this float in place. When I capsize the sunfish, often during a capsize recovery demonstration, I rarely get around to the daggerboard before the boat turns turtle.

And, our club has a rule that the water temperature plus the air temperature must add up to 100 degrees F. The rule is occasionally waived during racing if the wind is not particularly strong and there is a committee boat out on the course.

Reactions: tag

Back