What to repair this hull chip with?

4cpus4me

Noobie here but I've been lurking a few weeks in this forum. I just bought an old 1979 Sunfish in the first picture and have sailed it 3 times for about that many hours.

There are a number of issues besides the chewed sail (so more posts coming soon) but there is some gel coat chipping on the bottom of the hull and some spider lines adjacent to that. I don't seem to be taking on water or anything but I thought maybe I should at least clean out the loose stuff and _______________ over it? That greenish stuff is just turtle wax. I think the fiberglass is still solid but I'm new here :eek:.

I was thinking of taking a small dremel wire wheel and lightly cleaning out the chipped area followed by acetone cleanup, then using epoxy? Marine-Tex? 3M 4200? Fairing compound?

Attachments

• IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    770 KB · Views: 42
Nice boat and the answer is Yes. Then you can assess the fiberglass. If the resin matrix has chipped away or the spot is cloudy white/crushed, repair that. But most likely you are just going to replace the gelcoat that protects the fiberglass with a) gelcoat from a gelcoat repair kit or 2) thickened epoxy, or Marine-Tex Epoxy Putty White which might be available local. Sand. Fair. Spot spray gloss white. Sail. 3M 4200 or 5200 would work but they are very hard to sand and a little overkill.

Back