what to do when new?

edvardta

Ok, I've spent some time searching through the forum, and picked up some good advice, but would still like hear peoples opinion.

I bought my first Laser on Tuesday and my first sailing expericene with a dinghy, since I sailed Opimist abuot 13 years ago, will be tomorrow afternoon.

1) What is the most important thing to think about when sailing a Laser?
2) What should I know before I head out tomorrow.

All views and opinions are appreciated.

1. Make sure the tiller is rigged under the traveller line.
2. Make sure that the mast won't fall out if you capsize, either by having a mast retaining line or a stopper knot in the cunningham.
3. While we are talking stopper knots make sure there is one (two won't hurt) in the end of the mainsheet.
4. If you have any doubts about your ability to do a capsize recovery, do one first before you are too far from the shore.
5. Sail it flat.
6. Sail it flat - hike harder.
7. Sail it flat - if you're hiking as hard as you can and still aren't flat then depower by tightening the downhaul, vang and outhaul.
8, Sheet in so the boom and traveller blocks are touching upwind (except in really light air).
9. Let off the vang when sailing downwind.
10. Never let go of the tiller and sheet. (As an ex-Opti sailor you do know how to swap hands after the tack don't you?).
11. Catch a wave.
12, Have fun.
13. Smile.
14. Repeat steps 1 to 13 daily for the rest of your life.

Ignore the pain in your legs and abs. Learn to love the burn.

You'll probably capsize a few times the first time out on a breezy day. Have a good sunglass retainer.

Thanks for the pointers. Might have a hard time smiling while trying to ignore the pain in my abs and thighs.

What's most important when it comes to sailtrimming?

another question that I was wondering if people could help. The boat came with hiking pants that go over a wetsuit. How much better is it to use the neoprene hiking pants where the enforcement is in the pants itself?

4. If you have any doubts about your ability to do a capsize recovery, do one first before you are too far from the shore.

Very important point Old Geezer :) :)

Read more here...:
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=1302&highlight=Capsizing

13.b: not forget to control the drain plug at the transom

13.c: control, that you have a small PET-botttle with water on board

13.d: control, that the mainsheet is attached to the ratchet from the correct side

13.e: control, that the strap for the centerboad is attached and has enough tension

13.f: control, that the crowd at the shore do take a video or photos of your 1st sailings with your new baby... ;)

edvardta said:
What's most important when it comes to sailtrimming?
F.e. read here:
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=7175

edvardta said:
another question that I was wondering if people could help. The boat came with hiking pants that go over a wetsuit. How much better is it to use the neoprene hiking pants where the enforcement is in the pants itself?
Much! I know both. Functional underwear, spraytop, hikingplants, sailing boots or sailingslippers, bouyoncy aid, sailingcap, sun glasses (cheap ones, that are attachet by a small line around your neck), sunblocker are the things you want to use in the summer. The wetsuit (under that: Helly Hansen's fleece suit) and the suitable wetsuit hikingpant you wear from late autumn to early spring.

Is it tomorrow afternoon yet? Unless you simply don't have a choice, picka day that is about 8-10 knots for your first try. You'll go forwards, but the chances of swimming will be less and the margin for error increased.

haha ... i'm yet to sail mine .. first time sunday (tomorrow here in AUS) but i pretty sure its important to let the Vang off before rounding the top mark if you wish to keep your mast in one ..(straight) piece.

Rule of thumb for how much wind you can handle:

If it's too windy for you to step the mast by yourself, it's probably too windy for you to be sailing. Ideally your strength and sailing skill will both improve the more you sail the Laser, so the same basic rule will apply (you'll just be able to sail on windier days!).

Much! I know both. Functional underwear, spraytop, hikingplants...

Tell me more. Functional underwear? What's that? Is there such a thing as dysfunctional underwear? Is that when you get your panties in a wad?

Hiking plants? What are they? Plants that walk? Anyone else read "Day of the Triffids"?

Functional underwear? What's that?
57639755_150x150.jpg

Also when you get to the shore/ beach and leaving the boat on its launch trailer/ or dolly (for american sailors) for lunch/ or a rest (in my case) remember to disconnect the vang and untie the mainsheet at the very least...if its a new/ very good sail its best to take out the mast altogether and lay it on the boat (this will stop the sail from flogging and flapping and it will last you a lot longer)

I learnt this the hard way a while back when the wind changed one day whilst having lunch and the main sheet caught around the back of the boat and it turned over on a very rocky beach...not good!!

Always ask other laser sailors for advice...they are never shy about given you access to their experience. Even now we all share ideas, tuning tips and tweaks.

Tell me more. Functional underwear? What's that? ...
"Functional underwear" is the globalized 1:1 wording now here in Germany for that stuff that a sailor may wear under the wetsuit or drysuit, also. In the past, during the wonderful times at our globe, every nation had an own typical language, we here said: "Sportunterwaesche aus Lycrakunststoffgarn"". But in our times, a lot of original German words here are changed into words that come from the English/American language (f.e. at the railway station: "Kundenschalter" during the past / now: "Infopoint")

Back to your question Old Geezer: Steve Cockerill made a perfect system "What to Wear", if one is a sailor (Laser sailor):
http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=allwc&Store_Code=1

Also, the stuff that one may is able to find at the following link seems to be good:
http://www.underarmour.com/

Is that when you get your panties in a wad?

There is some truth in that sentence Old Geezer ;) :
For me, the stuff of Roostersailing not has been available here during the past. So, I searched at other sources. Here we have a supermarket called "Lidl" (Lidl.de). They are well known here for special offers, that is not something to eat. One time every year, they have a special offer for "cycling-cloth". The stuff is cheap and durable and a good approximation to that original underwear for sailors, that one may buy expensive from Zhik or Musto etc., too. But, those Lycra-leggings from Lidl do have sewn a foam pad at the butt - perfect suiting for the saddle of bicycles, but this foam is not comfortable to sail with. So, one has to cut out this foam of the leggings careful. But then, those cheap Lycra-leggings are perfect for the using at the sailing sport at the level of dinghy-cruising. I save some Euros.

Hiking plants? What are they? Plants that walk? Anyone else read "Day of the Triffids"? ...
I'm not sure Old Geezer. Yesterday, I was in a hurry to leave to go to work. During that time, I wrote that stuff, perhaps a bit to fast with my fat "Laserites-fingers" on the tiny keyboard of my PC. I guess, I did mean this:
http://www.burkasailing.com/

But, I am not sure if I realy meant it serious. I do like the serious interpretaion of Chainsaw, too. Perhaps Mr. Michon may do permit this nice looking yellow sail cloth. Scott/George (for NA) and Steve (for the rest of the globe) would get the single rights to offer them to us. And Bradley of TLF get's all rights for the promotion. It would be interesting to see that stuff at the Olympic Games 2008 at the racing Laser fleets (male: Vela blue, female: Vela pink ... ), also because: The Rhombus issue would get a perfect solution....;) Am I correct.

Cheers "edvardta" (and "Reon")! Today, you get welcome to our very special way to see the world ...;)
LooserLu

Had my first sail today, and it was great fun. no too much wind, probably around 3-4 m/s (6-8 knots), but good for getting used to the boat, trying to work out where to put my hands, tiller and sheet when tacking and when to trim what line.

Agree with what was written about the loose hiking pants to put over. They were not good and really didn't help that much. Will order a pair of Hiking pants.

Did cap-size but managed to climb over to the keel and set it straight right away and keep sailing. Was easier than I expected.

Thanks for all the tips. Also met a few of the local sailors who gave lots of good advice. Seems like everyone who has a laser is a good, nice and friendly person.

Good to hear you had a great experience on the laser for your first day. I leave to go sailing for the first time in a laser (not in general) in about an hour :D it's raining for the first time in weeks. so i'm guessing from the wind thats outside it's going to be about 15-25 knots for my first sail in a laser :eek: CAN'T WAIT. (hopefully not, but if is ... haha what a hoot)

Laser Convert
Reon

Well i just got home from sailing 2 ... 2hour races ... (sorry i think i hijacked thread?) It was blowing about 15 knots and dropping down do drifting ocassionally .. .the lake is very unpredictable (at this stage) any way there was 7 lasers .... 6 full rig ..1 radial. I started over the line in 3rd in the first race and rounded the top mark in first :eek: . i held the lead until i rounded the bottom mark to go upwind again ... then BLAM!!! the outhall rope knot came undone ... my main turned into a spinekar

Tip 1: CHECK YOUR KnOTS :D

well i had to deliberatly capsize the boat to fix it .... all the boats passed me ... as expected .. but what was unexpected was they all went left on the course .. so i thought "nothing to lose" i'll go right ... by the top mark i had passed 4 to get back into 3rd! i passed one on the next reach ... who said a bit of ballast hiking out (maybe to much ballast!) was bad. i got 2nd! in my first and second race .. first time ever sailing a laser.

next time ... 1st :p

Back