What length tiller extension is best in a Sunfish?

M25max

I would like to add a tiller extension with a universal joint to the tiller in the Sunfish I bought for my daughter. I attached a photograph of the boat so you can see how it is now. I am not too heart broken to remove the wood extension because it isn’t mahogany. I looked at one of the online shops and they show several lengths for the Sunfish and some telescoping ones(see screen capture below). What length is best and what is the preference between fixed and telescoping?
1719499360084.jpeg

1719499220304.png

Same for me.
The telescoping ones are overkill for a young girl (and may fail at the wrong moment, I have been told). Make sure you get a compatible 'universal'.

I talked with The Dinghy Shop in Long Island and they suggested to get the 33” one so I went with that. They also said there is a saddle you buy that makes it easy to connect to a wooden tiller so I also bought that. We will see how it works. My daughter is comfortable with a tiller extension with a universal from her experience in an Optimist so this should make the Sunfish transition easier.

Back