what is a laser rudder made of?

maxfrench

Hello, I'm a french Laser sailor and for my students in Science and materials engenering, I want to know the nature of the material that use in a laser rudder.

excuse me for my bad english.

Thank you

Max, I've made your thread title a little more descriptive.

Laser rudders have a wire and foam core, and the repair instructions from the manufacturer say to repair dings with auto body filler. Hope that helps.

....Laser rudders have a wire and foam core...
Hi.
I have refurbished several old centreboards and rudderblades in Summer 2006. Here are some photos of an old rudderblade, that has several heavy cracks at the head. I can't say how old that blade is, but definitely it is very old and in our days new blades, I did hear from rumors, are made out of different stuff, however.... I had to cut about 20% of the head off, inreason the damage has been to much to repair. That rudderblade now is working fine, it's my "reserve"-blade for recreational sailings. It is glued with finest epoxy resin and prepainted and sanded (my work) with "Interprotect" (made by "yachtpaint" aka "International") and 2x sprayed with "Perfection", colour No. 545 (also produced by "International") by a professional carpainter. "Perfection" is really dangerous to spray yourself without separated aircondition, in reason in the spray is the very toxic "Cyanid"-gas. Painting "Perfection" is not that dangerous, but the surface never gets so wonderful fine (like a mirror the surface now looks) like spraying that paint. Totally cost of the repair, including the money I had to spend at ebay to get that damaged blade: ~90 Euro (not included: the money for the time I had to spend for sanding and prepainting and glueing and sawing and and and....). I saved many Euros to buy a new blade.

Ciao
LooserLu

P.S.: If I have more time, I write a small story here with photos about that paintings... :D
P.P.S.: The scale at the meterstick at the photos is centimeter/millimeter

Attachments

• DSCN2295.JPG
    DSCN2295.JPG
    550.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN2296.JPG
    DSCN2296.JPG
    769.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN2297.JPG
    DSCN2297.JPG
    647.9 KB · Views: 53

Back