What I learned when I installed a inspection port.

Ninja_sailer

So I have a 76 AMF sunfish, I cut a hole in stern of my deck to put in a inspection port. After I cut the hole, the deck doesn't fall through. I come to discover there is that phome sealent all through out the stern of my boat. Is this here in all the old sunfish? I really wasn't prepared for this even after all the research I did. I learned the hard way that this stuff has fiber glass pieces through out it also. What is the best way to remove this and give it a clean look? O yeaa, I learned that there is fiber glass phome in the stern.

thanks

Attachments

• DSCN1265.jpg
    DSCN1265.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN1266.jpg
    DSCN1266.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 84
I think you just ran into some attachment foam overflow. The float blocks are white styrofoam like the stuff cheap pop coolers are made from . You probably got fiberglass fragments in the foam when you made your hole in the deck. The foam doesn't contain any fiberglass reinforcement.

There's an earlier thread about this same situation.
http://www.sunfishforum.com/help-aft-deck-port-t3814.html

"...I learned the hard way that this stuff has fiber glass pieces through out it also..."
I don't see any evidence in your photos of "the hard way". When I learn "the hard way", there are usually drops of blood! :eek:

The insides of these boats are fairly clean of sharp edges and fiberglass "daggers". Could the fiberglass that injured you be part of a repair by a former owner—who added the excess foam from a can? :confused:

Back