What Gear To Buy?

sailordude

Hey im growing out of all my sailings stuff. so my mom is leting me loose on buying some new stuff. not much of a budget but would be nice to keep the price lower of course. i have some gill boots and 2 pairs of gloves. i had a gill hybrid smock which worked great but is to small and some crapy gill pants that keep me dry. i was just wondering what you guys thought was good because there is alot of different brands and stuff.
thanks

haha wow up here in minnesota it goes from like 90's in the summer to negatives in the winter.. but when its cold we iv sailed in 35 and up... it can get really windy... i just want to get some stuff that will keep me warm and dry... not a dry suit though! to expensive il get one when im fuil grown!

For those conditions I would do the following:

1. Good pair of 3/4 leg hiking pants. Will help keep you warm in the winter and will be good for the cool water in the summer. I would get Queensport because they are warmer than the SEA pants. Get 3mm thickness.
http://www.queensportmarine.com.au/products_hiker.htm

2. Get a good water heater top. Patagonia and Queensport make good ones and I think SEA is making them now. I have the Queensport model and it works well. Wear this with the hiking pants and a spray top and you should be good for most of the year.
http://www.queensportmarine.com.au/products_accessories.htm (hot shirt)
http://www.patagonia.com/za/PDC?OPTION=PRODUCT&merchant_rn=7385&sku=85332&ws=false

3. A dry top. If you cant afford a full drysuit get a dry top atleast. That water has to be cold!

4. A full length wetsuit. Wear this with the hiking pants and dry top when its really cold and you should be fine.

sailordude said:
haha wow up here in minnesota it goes from like 90's in the summer to negatives in the winter.. but when its cold we iv sailed in 35 and up... it can get really windy... i just want to get some stuff that will keep me warm and dry... not a dry suit though! to expensive il get one when im fuil grown!

With summer coming on there should be no rush, especially since all that Minnesota sunshine will make you sprout even more. ;) You'll just need gloves and swimming trunks with that kind of heat, too, since I assume the water gets pretty warm in the summer.

I have a Ronstan dinghy smock I really like. It keeps me warm and dry. It's not much good for warmth if I fall in cold water, but once I'm wet from that when I get out it keeps me warm. It's really good for rainy days too. I bought that brand because it fit me the best. Polyester fleece is also great for keeping you warm when you're wet.

What have you worn when you sailed in 35? That's like 2 degrees C. Did you capsize, or was that great motivation to not? If I had the nerve to sail in weather like that with no drysuit, I'd wear a wetsuit and a fleece liner and my dinghy smock. There's other kinds of foul weather gear, but I"ve never tried it.

What do the Dutch sailors who launch off the ice wear?

Merrily

ya it gets really cold and we sail like the day the ice is off the water. i wear.... give me a few min!! poly propolean like long underwear and top, 2 rash guards(long sleeve and short), all my dinghy dry stuff, boots and duct tape around the ankles and then my gill neoprian gloves... shoo.. and a life jacket of course! thats when tis really cold but i just want a set of stuff for medium cold and really cold... during the summer i dont need much but some days it gets in the lower 60's and the wind makes it colder. im thinking about getting a wetsuit and i have some SEA hiking pants which are amazing. a drysuit is in the budget for the fall.. we sail tell the ice is on.

Merrily said:
What do the Dutch sailors who launch off the ice wear?

Merrily

I'm dutch and I've been sailing the whole winter. I just wear a 5mm wetsuit from Gul, 3mm hiking pants, a lycra and sometimes a dry top. I have always something on my head and I prefer gloves for the cold water.

Back