What are Lasers actually selling for?

Flying Monkey

Looking at the laser.org classifieds, the prices seem high. I was wondering what these boats are actually selling for? I have a '79 in decent shape that I got for $800 (CND$) I thought it was a good deal but not half the price of what it was worth. If anyone has any experience or insight into this I would be happy to hear it.

Thanks

Recently on Ebay, any Laser of any age that has all of its parts and pieces is going for more than $1000 (US). Locally here in the SF Bay area, the average seems to be higher (but so is everything else here). Even fixer uppers are bringing $600 - $800 (US) around here. I bought my 1978 in March of 2004 for $600 and another $400 for the trailer. It has taken some elbow grease, but mine is holding together pretty well for a 27 year old boat. It isn't the fastest on the bay but that is more my fault than the boat's.

Flying Monkey said:
Looking at the laser.org classifieds, the prices seem high. I was wondering what these boats are actually selling for? I have a '79 in decent shape that I got for $800 (CND$) I thought it was a good deal but not half the price of what it was worth. If anyone has any experience or insight into this I would be happy to hear it.

Thanks

In the Northeast you could sell a 1979 Laser for $1,000 to $1,200 US in about a days time......

Hey ya, it really depends where you are prices vary alot, i bought mine (79' i believe..its skipping my mind right now) for $2200 last fall, it is in quite good shape however, and this was after shoping around for a while, this was the cheapest best priced, and it wasnt gonna stick around for a while. Im confident i could faily easy get about $2000 still for mine here in Cobourg (Hour west of Toronto). So it just depends where you are.

900 euros for my 1979 laser. kind of cheap I think for this part of Spain, although laser fleet around here is almost disappearing

Chuso007 said:
900 euros for my 1979 laser. kind of cheap I think for this part of Spain, although laser fleet around here is almost disappearing

Really? Nice to see some Spaniard around. Just joined the forums, something I should have done long time ago since I've been living in the States for 7 years now.

Anyhow, I used to belong to the Galicia's fleet, and raced all over Spain (and some Europe races) in the mid 80s to mid 90s. Best time ever. Where are you from?

So the Spanish fleet is down now? A pitty.

Cuidate

Carlos Echavarri Erasun

So they say... I left Galicia long time ago and came back last summer, now I race in bigger boats (IMS 670) but still I wanted a dinghy so I bought the laser 5 months ago (hopefully I'll use it tomorrow for the first time, lots of restoration).

Some people that crew with me on the big boat sail lasers and they tell me that the fleet has reduced its number a lot. That's bad.

I live in Cabañas (Puentedeume) but I work in Ferrol.

Bienvenido a este foro, es MUY bueno.

Saludos,

Jesús González-Llanos

Buena suerte with your sailing this weekend.

It is funny, yesterday I got inivited to race Laser in Lake Genova (WI), so I guess will both share some fun. I'll let you know how it went on Monday.

Carlos

Pd. some times I post my opinions at www.masmar.com as, also, cenutrio. There are some Laser sailors that post too and may help you to get in contact with the fleet. Buena suerte.

I got an amazing deal for $1000 on a 1991 laser. Tons of extras, bags, covers, etc... I have upgraged the control lines since buying it and think it could easily sell in the 1500 to 2000 range.

I bought my '74 for $500 CAD, and have the option to buy another one for $350. I'll probly buy the second soon and keep that as a project boat and sell it next season.

I've already put over $2000 Into my current '74, including new spars, rigging, lines, rudder head, paint (I wasn't a fan of banana yellow...), tiller, tiller extension... Basically everything is new, except for the original wooden blades, which I painted the same color as the boat.

It's the nicest looking boat int he bay, and definetly one of the fastest ;)

If I buy the second boat I'll do the same thing, except I won't put new rigging on, I'll just clean up the old stuf, re-revit the spars, and throw a newish used sail on it. Most of the people in the area are in the market for a pleasure boat, not a racing boat. Hopefuly fully restored laser have good re-sale values :)

(first post for me....!!!!!!)

I forked out $NZ 4350 ($ US 3100) for my 1988 laser here in New Zealand. All pretty good condition though, mostly updated everything except for foils, sail and boom.

Bought only 3 months ago and had my first race in our winter series last weekend. V. light conditions so not the most exciting start to my racing career...

We have to spend a fair whack on most of our gear down here, $US 800 for a sail ..!!

Back